Snuba ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Road Guy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay so while doing some research for a spring trip I came across something called SNUBA?

Basically you have an air tank with 20’ of hose attached to a small dingy that floats at the surface and follows you around…. While you explore, sort of like extended snorkle

Has anyone here witnessed this or done it? I am curious how it works, were all used to worrying about air consumption while underwater, what mechanism do they use to let people know to “come up?”

From what I read online it looks like two people share one tank??

it still appears a little fuzzy to me…..Would you let your kids do this before they were old enough to scuba?

Last edited:
My wife and I did it before we got certified. It's scuba diving on a really really long hose. As far as air consumption, there are no gauges attached. Your guide just tells you when to come up. They get around this by keeping you fairly shallow (30 feet was the deepest we had) and pretty short. I think our dive was 20 minutes.

It's fun...but

Today I would say "No way." Back then ...well, ignorance is bliss.

For example - no one told us about not holding our breath. There is no octo - so if your reg messes up, no backup. Now granted, you're only 20-30 feet down, but if you're a totally inexperience diver, as we were, that could easily result in a panic meltdown, more likely a diver holding their breath and shooting to the surface. Of course, there was no mask skills covered either. Just "this is how you breath. Let's go have fun."

In my opinion - it's a dangerous move. For us it gave us the illusion that this was okay because you didn't need training. My thoughts.

It is commonly called "hookah" diving. Can be used with cylinders, but it's more common that the float carries an air compressor--the air is being compressed while you dive, so there's no real limit to the bottom time (except for however long the fuel lasts to the compressor).

It's part of how I was introduced to the underwater world, and it does require some common sense.

Brownie's Third Lung

Not sure if it is the same thing but I read about a unit that is basically a scuba Kit except the diver can not let the air out of his BC, so it is snorkling with a scuba regulator in your mouth, on the surface. seems like a lot of equipment to replace the simple snorkle but whatever floats your boat.

My family did this while my sons and I were certified, my daughter was too young and my wife and niece were not certified (and still isn't)

My daughter was 9 and was totally comfortable with it and loved it. My wife and niece enjoyed it. I thought it was a nice intro to diving, the group I went with did explain not to hold breathe, had a diver with us for just in case.

I would reccomened that you do a Discover SCUBA or what is commonly referred to as a "Resort Course" where you get a short lecture on safety issues, do SCUBA in a pool and if your comfortable you go to a dive with a guide. Then you will be ready for any SNUBA diving you want to do.

I tried this with my wife who is not certified and has sinus issues that are holding her back from trying to SCUBA dive.

SailNaked, you discribed the air supplied sknokling system. It is a SCUBA rig with a personal floatation device designed for really young kids to paddle around on the surface with. Save you money and buy a snorkle instead.

Last edited:
It's sorta like taking a bath with your socks on.

SailNaked, Yeah I also tried to figure that one out. I snorkled for like 40 years before getting certified. I guess having a BC that can't be deflated keeps you very comfortable on the surface, but you can't go down to the bottom...And you have to deal with a tank (plus renting it, etc.). I guess having a reg. to breathe with elliminates any chance of water going in the snorkel. Seems like a lot of fuss just to go snorkelling.

I've been on two dives which had a couple of folk along to do snuba. Your description:
Basically you have an air tank with 20’ of hose attached to a small dingy that floats at the surface and follows you around…. While you explore, sort of like extended snorkle
is pretty accurate. It is NOT the same as snorkling. The people on our boat who did it were limited to about 8-10 ft depth. They did a mix of surface viewing and shallow diving above a reef. Two people on a tank that was in a kayak-like boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom