leaky BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBedoobedoo

Registered
Reaction score
When my buddy and i got back from dutch springs for our certification dives, we noticed a bunch of water INSIDE of the BCD. Howd it get in there? We are getting BCD's of our own and i just wanted to know if it was ok and how to prevent it if its not ok.

If there is no air in your BCD and you de-press the deflator button whilst under water then water will get in.

Usually happens to new divers that are underweight, they think there is still air in the BCD therefore try and deflate it more and in doing so let water in.

It is no big deal, inflate the BCD and the end of the dive turn it upside down and depress the deflator to expel the water

It is a good idea to clean out the bladder by partially filling it with clean water every now and then if diving in Salt water.

TO store partially inflate the BCD, this stops the bladder walls sticking together and potentially tearing it

That's funny. I never really stopped to ask WHY that happens. When I was taking the OW course, at the end of the dive the instructor asks us to turn the bc upside down and depress the deflator. At this time a bunch of water came out of the other student's BC, but nothing came out of mine. I never stopped to ask WHY does it fill up and how to maintain it. Now I know.

The equipment tech at my LDS suggest that you add a teaspoon of your favorite mouthwash to the BC before storage. Put it in through the oral inflator and move the BC around to coat the inside of the BC. This kills off any nasties that might decide to grow in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom