Lionfish at Molasses reef today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We heard over the vhf radio that a Lionfish was spotted on the reef today. One of the dive ops received the ok per the sanctuary to catch it. I do not know the outcome.
Hope for the best

Catch it? It should have been killed on the spot!

Looks like the Lionfish are here to stay.

We have only ourselves to blame. There is NO WAY divers or anyone else for that matter can control this, well maybe except for mother nature, and I doubt that will happen.

Running around killing all that you see is not going to do much other than maybe control the population a bit.

Red Tape is not always a friend of ours.
Red_Tape_Butt_Uranus.jpg

Divers did a pretty good job of controlling the conch population in the keys. It should work for lionfish. A yearly tournament could help.

A tournament with some moolah behind it probably would work out - you find some deep-pockeded tree-hugging reef lover with a nice trust fund, name the tournament after him/her, and you are in bidness.

Looks like the Lionfish are here to stay.

We have only ourselves to blame. There is NO WAY divers or anyone else for that matter can control this, well maybe except for mother nature, and I doubt that will happen.

Running around killing all that you see is not going to do much other than maybe control the population a bit.

:dork2: -- My Vote doesn't count I am too busy, there is NO WAY that other guy is going to win!

Did anyone here if they caught/killed it? I havent heard anything else.

Catch it? It should have been killed on the spot!

I second that! Think of it this way - you'll never stop them completely but each lionfish you kill (safely, to you and others around you) means there's going to be about twenty more fish alive on the reef that day. Fish that you'll enjoy seeing tomorrow. Kill 'em. Eat 'em if you like but do your part to protect the environment by eliminating as many of these coral cockroaches as you can!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom