End of season considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nordiques

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With the temperature falling in the minuses, i have to call it quits on my first dive season, unfortunately! I was wondering what specific things i should do on my equipment to keep it to its pristine condition that it is right now. I know that i should store my tanks with no more than 500 psi but thats about it.
Should i drench all my equipment one last time in fresh water (in the tub). If so, i have read from other posts that people put soap or pine sented thingy... is that a good idea to make it smell fresh?

I know this is basic info that i should already know but well... i don't!

Thanks for your info
Marc

Storing your tanks with no more than 500psi isn't really a major concern but it could be if you think they might not be dry inside. This discussion has been had MANY MANY times here on SB. They are less likely to come to harm stored full than they are on your back breathing from them assuming you aren't storing them in some crazy place. Just double check it all when the diving season starts/ends/before storing/do the proper inspections etc...

For the most part, assuming you cleaned your other gear properly in the first place, all you need to do is store it in a dry place. Just make sure your gear is in fact dry like the inside of your BC for example.

If you really want to be anal, you could clean/grease o-rings etc... on stuff like lights and camera gear. If you have a dry suit or any other special equipment, read the manuals to see how they suggest you store/keep your gear during dry times. I like to make sure my zipper is waxed and my seals are powdered but again, this stuff is all much tougher than we think it is when we first start diving and worry about our large investment. Some of us don't even get our regs serviced "annually" and we survive! :wink:

Have a great winter break. Hey, go to Bonaire this winter and you won't have to keep all that nice gear dry! :)

Marc,
There are older threads with good info on gear storage.
hang families wetsuits and BC's on a thick hanger- like ones used for mens suits- well ones for big guys like me!
If your gear was thoroughly clean after your last dive all should be fine. Bored or thought you were lazy you could rinse gear again- NO PINE STUFF- water or wetsuit soap only from a dive or surf shop
One instructors passed a great idea along and I have an awesome large long tupperware 2' wide-2"tall- 5'long with wheels that all our gear is stored in- it also doubles as a gear box when driving to the dive spot so after diving my 4Runner doesnt transform into a UBOAT!
Lay all my regs/octos out straight- no bends
Dust caps are on and secure
Dive knife and other gear siliconed- use only approved silicone!
remove batteries out of all dive lights-no acid leak-probably wont happen but I dont want to ASS--UME :D

Extras-Read about diving during off season-magazines, books, etc..
Practice using your dive tables, keeping your mind fresh- off season u can forget a lot of stuff
Join a dive club
Exercise dude- here come the holidays-turkey,cookies,ham,pies - ext thing you know what the:confused: my wetsuit wont zipup:shakehead:
Good luck bud
see ya when the pool opens again
Aquabear

Thanks for all the helpful information... good to know.

I heard slightly inflating your BCD before you hang it up is good as well.
:coffee:

I dedicated an entire closet and half a second one to storing dive gear. [tossed 70% of hubby's computer stuff] lol
All our wet suits and BC's hang... all gear washed/dried/lubed before going into our dive bags... we no longer have to worry as much about deterioration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom