7 Mil Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my two cents....

Theoretically, the Farmer John/Jane will have approximately 14mm in the torso due to the overlap, so will be warmer. However, it does also depend on the fit and features of each suit (wrist and ankle seals, etc.). Taking the one piece and adding a core warmer accomplishes the same thing in the core as the Farmer John, with a little more versatility.

In my opinion, a two piece wetsuit is warmer, that is the farmer john style with a jacket. The more you layer, the warmer you will be. I wear a farmer john style along with a 3mm vest over the farmer john and then use the jacket over that. Of course, it all depends on how well the wetsuit fits.

Thanks for the responses. I thought the 2 pc would be warmer,thats what me and my son wear. His doesnt fit tight around the middle. He is tall and skinny. I am going to buy him one that fits and just wanted to some other opinions since we dont have anything to compare to.
Dry suit is not in my price range!!

Thanks for the responses. I thought the 2 pc would be warmer,thats what me and my son wear. His doesnt fit tight around the middle. He is tall and skinny. I am going to buy him one that fits and just wanted to some other opinions since we dont have anything to compare to.
Dry suit is not in my price range!!

Hmmm . . . how old is your son? You might want to wait "a minute" and the suit might fit . . . :wink: That's the way they grow!

Try a variety of suits. While the Farmer John has more neoprene in the middle, a one piece with a hooded vest or core warmer might fit him better, and actually be warmer by reducing the flow through the suit.

Assuming good fit in both cases, the two piece should be warmer because you've got more thickness on the core. But the option you don't mention, a one piece fullsuit with a core warmer or something layered over it, is more versatile and accomplishes the same thing.

(I see farmer johns as an antiquated design left over from the days when neoprene was less flexible. Some people say they use the 2 pieces of a farmer john individually, but I fail to see how a heavy shorty with long sleeves is desirable alone. Or how heavy full legs with nothing on the arms and scooping water through the torso is useful!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom