Tipping protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBASailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
With walk-ons and live-aboards being so new to me, I really don't have clue what the normal protocol is for tipping the crew. I do feel that a good deckhand deserves a tip. Is $10 a day for 2 divers appropriate on a walk-on? What about the captain, or the DM, whom I am already explicitly paying for services? Should they be tipped for outstanding service? If so, how much is normal for them?

With walk-ons and live-aboards being so new to me, I really don't have clue what the normal protocol is for tipping the crew. I do feel that a good deckhand deserves a tip. Is $10 a day for 2 divers appropriate on a walk-on? What about the captain, or the DM, whom I am already explicitly paying for services? Should they be tipped for outstanding service? If so, how much is normal for them?

In Mexico, we tipped the captain $10/day/person for a two-tank dive, and he took care of his other crew. Of course, they make lunch and serve snacks and water, and will put your BC on the tank. The also help one with one's very unschool attempts at their language.

I think $5 per tank per person or 10% of your total charter fee would be a standard tip. The crew usually share tips among themselves. That said, if the live-aboard's cook goes beyond the call of duty for you (like rustling up vegetarian or wheat-free meals on short notice) or a dive boat's captain/crew member saves your life, a much fatter tip should be forthcoming!

I tip my liveaboard crews at the end of the trip. Somewhere between 10 and 15% of the cost of the charter. A $4,000 cruise with an excellent crew? $600. I am quite certain I tip above the norm, but I am okay with that. In the past I have generally paid it by credit card, but discussion here has led me to doubt that it gets to the crew, so I will personally distribute cash in the future. For day boats, I usually put a $20 bill in the tip jar, but first I make a show of asking where the tip jar is to try and shame some of the cheapskates into tipping as well. The crew usually appreciates it and gets a kick out of it.

$5 a tank is standard in Hawai'i as well.

:no:

Dude, $5/tank is standard in Florida where the boat is just a taxi to the site and the DM really is a DM. Nearly every boat in Hawaii is taking service to a significantly higher level, and most of us wonder what we did wrong when you only give $5/tank.

In the USA;

Taxi charter - $5/tank
Guided charter - $10/tank
Liveaboard - 10 to 15%

:no:

Dude, $5/tank is standard in Florida where the boat is just a taxi to the site and the DM really is a DM. Nearly every boat in Hawaii is taking service to a significantly higher level, and most of us wonder what we did wrong when you only give $5/tank.

Now, while I do tip $10/tank no matter where I am, I do have to say that the average boat I've been on in Florida is just as good as the average boat I've been on in Hawaii. And I've yet to see ANY boat in Hawaii "taking service to a significantly higher level" than anywhere else.

Is $10 a day for 2 divers appropriate on a walk-on?

For acceptable service $5/person for a two tank trip is way too low. $10/person for a two tank trip is on the low side of average, but average nonetheless. Here in NJ $15-$20 for a two-tank charter seems to be the usual.

Keep in mind that boat crew usually works exclusively for tips.

You just tip as much or as little as you feel is right. If they don't appreciate whatever you give them, they don't deserve it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom