Riffe Euro Series or Competitor Series?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruce175

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to step up to a Riffe... finally! lol I just have a small JBL gun now. I have been reading a lot about both the Euro and Competitor series and I am not completely sure which one would be good for me, any input would be great!? I mostly spearfish around reefs although occasionally i will do some 'blue water' and kelp beds. Does anyone use either of these guns? or any other suggestions?

I have two Riffes. One Cxs 3 (54 inch) and a Standard 5. I went up to a longer gun because we have clear water here most times. I like more range because we see the fish farther off. NOt sure of the vis in your area though. Riffe as great customer service. Ihad a trigger mech go "hair trigger" on me and got a new one and the old one back, free.

I live in California and the visibility isn't great normally, not much better that 25 feet. Thanks for some info!

Riffe just started selling euro guns ,they have been in the blue water market the most.euro guns are a great choice one single band ,accurate, quick reload ,light weight.I live here in L.A. so I think a 36" shaft would be the right choice. Look at some european brands . Make sure the shaft is heat treated stainless and make sure you can load a single band or use two smaller ones.There is a Pro spear store near Redondo Beach. Check Picasso web site for directions

I have 2 Riffe mid handle guns, the Island (for open water) and the No Ka Oi (for reefs). I bought my son his first gun for Christmas, a Euro 100X. This past weekend we went out to try out his gun. I nailed a calico from about 16 feet with that gun. I instantly loved the way it shot. Very straight and accurate, not a lot of recoil. The shaft is a little thin, but shouldn't bend unless you shoot a really big fish that fights.

If you get a Euro (and I would recommend it) get an "X" version with an extension on the butt. It's nice to use the extension to guide the gun around kelp. Riffe makes great guns that will work well and look good for ages.

By the way, I also live in CA and Saturday the vis was about 40 feet in Laguna.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom