Info on Guam please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I was going to bump an old trip report or other thread, but they were all too old. I hope this is the right location (ANZ and Pac Isles) for discussing Guam?

I'll appreciate any info you can provide.

Situation:
I have a free trip that must be taken in March, and must use a Hyatt hotel. In past years I've used this same free trip for Maui, which is close to U.S. where I live and offers nice diving, shore diving (if one has a friend to dive with), great snorkeling, and great beaches (good for afternoons when not diving... and for the wife to hang on while I dive or snorkel from shore).

So my question, and search for information, is around going to Guam in March for 4-5 nights... would I like it?

Here's some info about me:

- I'm a relatively experienced diver, say 500+ dives (many from my own boat in Miami), having made trips to Hawaii, Cozumel, Bahamas, Cayman, DR, Aruba, Australia, Bali, etc.

- I'm just doing regular open water dives, no taking photos, no NITROX, etc.

- I'm perfectly comfortable in any water conditions - no risk of getting sea sick - and I'm not looking for a lot attention or service (I'll rig and wash my own gear, I don't need a fancy meal, etc.).

- I hate tourists, and I would die if I was stuck on a boat with 30+ divers, visiting average dive sites when weather might permit visits to the good stuff. (I actually prefer six-packs or small boats, small groups, etc.).

- I would even love to meet up with some locals and do our own diving, if there's a "club" or group on here.

So, given my background and preferences, would Guam be a good choice for a trip? Is March a good time to visit, not a rainy or problem time of year? Would the island offer some different activities for me to do with my wife when not diving (although I want to dive every day)... even do some shore diving/snorkeling? Is it easy/good to rent a car for the trip and drive around to different beaches (for snorkeling even)? How would it compare to Maui or Oahu (or Bali, if that's applicable - sorry I don't know other places that make logical compares like maybe Palau or Midway or I don't know what I don't know :) ).

Thanks!!

Right, but still only a few posts more recent than 2006 with any information on Guam.

I know the expert opinion is that Guam doesn't compare to other Micronesia spots like Palau and Truk, but if I'm doing a compare to, or looking for an alternative to Hawaii, should I consider Guam (given my post above)? Thanks

Right, but still only a few posts more recent than 2006 with any information on Guam.

I know the expert opinion is that Guam doesn't compare to other Micronesia spots like Palau and Truk, but if I'm doing a compare to, or looking for an alternative to Hawaii, should I consider Guam (given my post above)? Thanks

I can't say how the diving is in Guam since when I lived there I was not a diver. But, Guam is much more relaxed than Maui. I have a friend who just moved back so I am looking at going again for a visit. I researched the Micronesian Dive Association Guam & Micronesia Pacific Scuba Diving. and they are the shop that everybody used when I lived there. Look into the 5 star diver club if you are going to use them.

There are shore diving spots and some really interesting wrecks on the island from what I can remember. I used to snorkel a lot when there.

Guam is a US territory so they use Dollars, speak English, drive on the same side of the road and have all the typical chain style restaurants as Miami. There are parts there that are very rural. You will find many houses that are constructed of corrugated tin but have 5 brand new Toyota trucks in the front yard.

I can say that Guam is a huge Japanese vacation spot so many of the dive shops seem to cater to the Japanese which may inhibit some of your diving with other shops if you don't have a buddy with you (or dont speak Japanese)

Much of the island life is surrounded by the beach so if your wife is not into hanging at the beach, there is not a lot to do. There are waterfalls, black beaches and night clubs like any other island but it really depends on what your wife wants to do. There is duty free shopping but I am not a big shopper for that to matter to me. There is the standard island drive which can be accomplished in around 3 hours (with stops at various locations). The military is huge onthe island so much of the land is off limits to non-military people. The flight is really long to get there from Hawaii (its another 8 hours) so the travel time is hard to handle if you cant stay for at least 10 days.

Guam is a really laid back place and I never appreciated it when I lived there and now regret that I did not stay.

I say go. I have been there half a dozen times for work and dive every time. In fact im going back in Jan. The reefs are great, the wrecks are great, and the people and prices are great. Google "Micronesian Divers Assn" or MDA if your looking for a shop. I have found thier services and prices top notch. Especially on the boat trips. PM me if you have specific questions.
Myles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom