Why are there so many sharks teeth in Venice Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know the reason behind why there would be large accumulations of sharks teeth in certain areas, and not in others?

..........based on an incorrect assumption.

Florida's past is interesting. Florida has been completely under the ocean, so lost teeth falling to the sea bed fell all over what later became Florida. Some of these teeth fossilized. Additionally, Florida was once much larger than it is today, extending far out into what is now the Gulf of Mexico. During those times, horses, rhinos, camels, sloths, saber-toothed cats and many other land animals roamed and died in areas that are now sea beds. Some of them also left fossils behind.

Florida is a great location for fossil hunters. Fossils are everywhere. All you have to do to find fossils in Florida is dig and keep your eyes open. Most of us don't want to dig for fossils, so we go to where someone or something has already done some digging. Hunters frequently go to quarries. They also go to rivers and streams, because water digs and exposes fossils.

There was once a river running along what is now off shore Venice Beach. It has already done our digging for us.

The question is not "why are there fossils at Venice?", but rather "why are they easy to find at Venice?"

That's where all the best shark dentists have set up their practices. I mean we all know that you can never find a good shark tooth pulling dentist around when you need one..

:all:

Cheers ears,
There can be only one,
The Gasman

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

You've heard to the African legend of the place elephants go to die? It is fully of ivory tusks and it is the dream fine of any treasure hunter, aww, but its cursed, usually all the good stuff is. Well this is nothing like that and no curse. lol I have no clue, it just kinda sounded like a good story in the making.

But Walter is right, the entire state is a huge fossil hunters dream. I see fossils all over the state in the underwater caves and dry caves that I go into. The coolest ones is when I see a complete fossilized crab, claws and all. Those are cool.

Knavey once bubbled...
Does anyone know the reason behind why there would be large accumulations of sharks teeth in certain areas, and not in others?

Sharks retire there too?

Popeye once bubbled...
Sharks retire there too?
Ehh....unfortunately they are not eating all those old folks that are in my way when I'm trying to get to work.

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Ehh....unfortunately they are not eating all those old folks that are in my way when I'm trying to get to work.

Maybe you should pay more atention to your tag line. MR. Twain had it right.

As an "old folk" myself (67), I didn't much enjoy your comment.

Woops....sorry....forgot my "just kidding" smiley-face.

:D <--- Here you go

Here is a crude explanation of why fossils are found in certain areas.

Fossils were deposited into the soil of the earths surface, when the animal died. As time passes, layers are generated. There are some layers of the earth that are well known to contain fossils. Some of these layers of the earth (think large wavey layers of soil and sediment) are called the Hawthorne, Yorktown, and the Chandler Bridge. Wherever these layers are exposed to the earths surface, you will find fossils.

Some rivers cut through these layers of the earth. The teeth fall out of the sidewalls as the soil is worn away. The teeth can then be found on the bottom of these rivers.

Sometimes the fossil containing, layers of the earth, are exposed to the surface of the earth, under the ocean, in the contenential shelf area, where we scuba dive.

Another material of the earths surface that has been stable for millions of years is phosphate. It is a light gray color. It is a pasty material and clay like when wet. A way to find fossils on land is to learn how to recognize phosphate. Look for hard, brittle, heavy, fossilized items (teeth, bones, shells, etc) embedded in the phosphate.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom