Diving knife and planes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alaxias

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, do you bring your diving knife when you go somewhere by plane (leaving next week for the Bahamas). Obviously I wouldn't carry it on me but can this cause problems with customs to have the diving knife in your luggages?

No problems carrying a dive knife in your checked baggage (so far) ... just don't put it in your carry-on by accident, like we did once. Luckily, it was at our local one horse airport, and we just walked it back to our checked bags.

I have never had a problem taking all my gear (save for weights and tanks and knives and a multi-tool) carry on. My knife is always in my checked luggage - no problems flying to the US. Note that your field-repair multi-tool, even if it does not have a blade, will likely have to be checked.

Why the knife in the Bahamas? A pair of stainless EMT shears will take care of just about any entrapment hazard, and you won't have any problem with those in your luggage...

Enjoy the trip! The Bahamas is awesome, gin-clear diving...

Never had a problem with a diving knife in checked luggage.

Now my dive light canister on the other hand seems to catch the interest of customs and security people far more often. I guess the three lines of batteries inside look a bit like 3 sticks of dynamite...

I fly out of a regional airport and check my Knife/EMT shears. When I talk to the TSA people. They kind of know/recognize me I make sure to tell them there are sharp objects in my lugage. They are usually friendly and apreciative.

Read the O.P. with care.

His question was very specific. He was not asking about TSA. It is not a transportation question.

He is asking about submitting a knife through Bahamian Customs.

A dive knife will be absolutely no problem.

Don't think there would me much issue with a pocket folder "walking around knife" either, but maybe somebody well versed in Bahamian policy might add on to that with some real data.

The only reason customs is interested in a canister light? The same reason they are interested in Pelican cases. The properties of these devices inhibit the ability of "sniffers" looking for explosives or drugs. That is the only reason TSA or Customs wants a closer look- same for SCUBA tanks.

I've been to the Bahamas five times in the last 18 months and I've never had a problem with any dive knives --or pocket knives.

Dive knives are much better than snips for killing lionfish.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom