Apollo bio fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What's the difference between the Apollo Bio Fin models Pro and XT?

For that matter, what's the difference between Apollo split fins and the other brands. I mean what makes the Apollos so much better as the magazine reviews say they are?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I like mine. I had knee problems for many years and had a meniscus repaired. After a few days in the Flower Gardens using paddle fins (granted they were an old model) my knee was killing me. I was advised by a fin reviewer that the Apollos would be easier on my knees, and they are. I have found them to be fine in current if I fin with my ankles, not my whole leg, as is the proper technique for that type of fin. They got me through 250 dives in places like Galapagos, Cocos and in some nasty currents in Indonesia and Bonaire (yes...Bonaire!!! has gotten some rough currents lately).

They are pretty similar to Oceanic V12s... but the blade is noticably shorter. I wanted BioFins, but there isn't a dealer on Oahu. Both the Apollo and Oceanic V12 are very heavy materials and take a beating. Great thrust if you keep your kicks tight... I think they are faster than my Jetfins and I heavily favor them for shore dives as they require less effort than paddle fins.

If you need a lightweight travel fin, you may want to look towards Atomics.

I had Tusa Xpert Zooms in Black (stiff) and then got the Apollo Bios last year.

The XTC model is harder rubber.. Stiffer.

The difference was night and day. I love the Apollos and I felt the difference immediately.

I tried Apollo split fins a few years ago based on high rating on Scuba Diving Magazine and had to return them due to foot pain. I went back to my trusty Force Fin Pro.

Adam

BioFins and V12s both use a very soft, floppy, heavy material. Think rubber eraser. Tusa, Sherwood and Atomic are more your typical hard plastic splits. The XTs are just a stiffer version of the fin. Read up on Leisurepro or whatnot...

Back
Top Bottom