Diving after a root canal????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikwho

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all, I am curious about diving right after having a root canal. I am having a root canal sealed up on the 14th(tomorrow) and i'm supposed to be diving on the 17th. Im going along with my fiance's class(she is getting certified). I'd like to dive with her after her class but dont have to. We are leaving for the bahamas in a month and i dont want to chance any complications with diving there. I voiced my concern with my dentist and he prescribed an antibiotic for me that he said would keep me trouble free. My concern was with air getting trapped underneath the temporary filling and then causing an expansion injury upon accent. The dentist said not to worry, but i was curious if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks, Nik

I have been diving with a temporary filling after having a root canal treatment. I think it was within a couple of days. As long as the root canal is finished and the canal is sealed there should not be a problem.

Same here - I went diving about a week after getting a temporary cap, and then several months later when I had the permanent crown. No problems at all.

Thank you! I always forget to use the search feature. There is very good, helpful information in all of those threads.

If you dive on the 17th, you will know for certain if there is a problem. There will be no doubt in your mind. If sealed up tomorrow and no problem diving 3 days later you are good to go.
Root canals can be left open packed with a wick of potent high-powered antibiotics. I did this in a 3 day dive trip I "had" to go on.

I had a root canal last Wednesday at 11 AM ... and went diving at 4:30 PM. No problem. As long as the novacaine wears off enough that you can feel your lips around the regulator mouthpiece, you'll be fine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There nerve has been removed ( I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night !!)...Go for it...

Back
Top Bottom