Far Sighted - Corrective Lens or Laser?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am far-sighted and use bi-focal lenses that are beyond the standard lenses that masks (that I know of) can produce.

+2.5/+3.5 with +2.5 for reading. total of +6 :shocked2:

Sea Vision (very friendly sorts) say they can laminate a 'rig' up for me but I get the feeling it might not be so great. Currently, for diving, I am using +2.5 contacts in my dominant eye and +6 in my passive eye (for reading gauges). It works but I worry about loosing a contact in a flood, hence my call to Sea-Vision.

Other than surgery I don't know of any other options. Has anyone used these 'laminated' double lenses from Sea-Vision?

Losing a contact lens due to a flooded mask is extremely rare, if you think about it, how many conditions can arise that would cause a mask to be ripped from your face so quickly that it floods and washes the lenses out before you can close your eyes?

In addition, although this is not recommended I have read numerous reports from swimmers who wear contacts who say that they do not lose their contacts even if they open their eyes underwater and while not using swim goggles.

Another suggestion is to use larger diameter contact lenses for diving (in the range of 15.0mm diameter) as well as requesting a slightly tighter fit (accomplished by using a tighter base curve), so as to maximize the grip by the upper and lower lids.

LASIK for hyperopia has come a long way but no surgeon will guarantee satisfactory results.

Lastly, you're a +2.50 diopter hyperope in your dominent eye...depending on how many years past 40 you might be (you're probably close to or past 60 based on the bifocal Rx), your unaided visual acuity is probably sufficient to get you safely to the surface should you lose a contact lens underwater.

Although I am a licensed NYS Eye Care professional this post is for entertainment purposes only, and is not to be taken as medical advice!

Have you checked with Prescription Dive Masks?

Per their website, prescriptiondivemasks.com, "we really can put any prescription in any dive mask."

I wear bi-focals and have used PDM for years. Just send them your mask and a copy of your prescription along with your phone number so they can call to get your credit card info. You'll get your mask back in about two weeks.

It's just that easy.

Last edited:
Call prescription dive masks, i just received my wife's, her vision now is better than her glasses. Her prescription is stronger than yours.

I had laser corrective eye surgery 10 years ago. It was the best decision for me. I am very happy with the results and see better than with contacts.

Oceanic Pro has a large display that is easy to read.

I had laser corrective eye surgery 10 years ago. It was the best decision for me. I am very happy with the results and see better than with contacts.

Oceanic Pro has a large display that is easy to read.

You were nearsighted, the Op on this thread is farsighted.

Two completely different worlds.

You were nearsighted, the Op on this thread is farsighted.

Two completely different worlds.

Steve, some people will never get it-----lololol....Our jobs could be made a lot easier with the 'right' patients, no?????

Steve, some people will never get it-----lololol....Our jobs could be made a lot easier with the 'right' patients, no?????

Yeah but if they could figure it out they might not need us.

:cool2:

Yeah but if they could figure it out they might not need us.

:cool2:

I wuz thinking of the brain department---& being easier........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom