When to dive unsupervised? (w/o dm)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueGirlGoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Newbie question: I was certified in May and did about 15 dives after that in Borneo, always with a DM leading the group. My husband was certified a few weeks ago, and I buddied with his buddy's dad during their check-out dives. We're going to Bonaire in late September, where there's unlimited shore diving.

My question is this: Is it a bad idea for the 2 of us to dive unsupervised, without being part of a larger group or hiring a divemaster? I'm not averse to that, but I guess I'm not sure when we can consider ourselves "ready" to go out alone. Neither of us are risk takers or particularly stupid people, we're just inexperienced divers.

Thanks!

I think its up to you. If you don't feel comfortable to make the decision, then you're probably not ready. That's cool, get more experience with the DM and eventually you will feel ready.

Not as long as you have an Open Water Certification and not the "enrty level - Scuba Diver".

If you can walk into the shop and get a tank fill you can head out alone.Scarry at first but you are taking your next big step.

Get a site orientation from a local diver and have fun !

Ron

:)

get some local advice on the dives from shore, start with a recommended shallow dive (25-35), plan-plan-plan, keep safety in mind at all times (buddy dive), and if and only if you are confident to make the dive, go for it.

My wife and I did most of our dives without a DM after OW. Its all about your level of confidence, and your confidence in your buddy.

safe diving!

Hi Welcome to the world of scuba.
I think this is a hard question for any of us to answer for you.
It is really 100% up to how comfortable YOU feel with what you have learned.
If you feel your navigational skills are very strong, and so is your bouyancy, and breathing, and buddy skills, then I would say, be careful, and go for it.
Bonaire is the best place for someone with 15 dives to get more comfortable with their skills.
However,
since you have not been there before, I would always go out at least once, or twice, even three times, with a DM, since she will know the sites, and will be able to guide you.
Have fun, and be sure to write a trip report.

It's all up to you....

Seriously if you feel comfortable diving with your husband and are comfortable with each other enough in the water and your skills, by all means dive dive dive...

You'll never lern more until you take those first few steps on your own, and you'll really end up enjoying it more

H2OHead once bubbled...
I hate to ask the obvious, but if you are certified aren’t you already qualified to dive without a dive professional by your side?
She is asking some very reasonable questions.

A newly minted dRiver can legally drive anywhere, anytime. A prudent one gains experience in less challenging conditions before going into difficult situations such as heavy rush hour traffic.

A diver with an OW cert can go diving anywhere. A prudent one builds on their experience gradually.

BlueGirlGoes: my understanding is that the shore diving in Bonaire is good for new divers. If you do hire a DM for the shore dives, tell him that his role is simply to stop you if you doing anything dumb and that you will plan and lead the dives. Better yet, just find some other divers from your resort that are headed out for a shore dive and join them.

Of course only you can answer the question. Anytime you're someplace new it makes sense to "look before you leap" but that's true no matter how long you've been diving.

I haven't ever dived with a divemaster or any other supervision unless I was taking a class. Some never dive on their own. It just depends on what you want to do and what you feel ready for.

You have chosen a terrific destination for your first dive trip! The water is warm, there is almost never any current to deal with, and the navigating is very easy. You can start out by doing a couple of boat dives with whatever shop you are using, if you like, to get the feel of diving there. Whether you do that or not, your dive shop is very likely to have you do a "check out" dive when you first register with them. On Bonaire this means you fill our their forms, show your C card, rent any equipment you need...and then they will ask you how much weight, and expect you to do a short dive there at their location, to make sure your equipment is working correctly & you have the correct weight. If you feel you want a divemaster to accompany you on this short/shallow check-out dive, be sure to ask, perhaps even arrange for ahead of time. They are so used to sending folks off to dive without DMs, they won't think to offer if you don't speak up. But all of the DMS get rave reviews - Bonaire is truly "divers paradise."

It is worth buying the $10 guide to shore diving book, available in the dive shops, for well written descriptions of the dive sites, best entry spots, etc.

Back
Top Bottom