40 fathom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, A few of us might be going to 40 fathom this weekend. Has anyone been there since the new and improved visibility and has it really been improved? Thanks

This website (40 Fathon Grotto)? 40 Fathom Grotto Shows:

Although 40 Fathom Grotto is primarily a diver-training facility and not open to the general diving public, there are nevertheless four different ways you can dive with us, including:
  • Become a Grotto Guide: If you are a Divemaster, Assistant Instructor or Instructor, you will definitely want to take advantage of this opportunity, as it will give you the ability to bring students and customers here for classes and guided dives. See the Grotto Guides Section for more information.
  • Come With a Guide: Most of our guests are students coming with a qualified Grotto Guide to take part in Advanced, Specialty, Leadership or Technical Diver training. (And some are just coming along to have fun.)
compass_sm.jpg

• Take a Class: This is certainly among the better values in that, for little more than the cost of a guided dive, you can come away with your Advanced, Rescue or any of a host of Specialty or Leadership certifications. See the Diver Training Section for more information.
  • Let Us Be Your Guide: Don’t feel like taking a class? Indulge yourself in two personally guided dives with one of our expert staff members. See the best of the Grotto — including may features the casual observer often misses. See the Grotto Guides Section for more information

Looks like the public can dive it but only if you do it with their guides directly. Or at least that is how I interperet the last point.

I went there last year and have been there once before under the old owner and it's night and day difference. Before, the stairs getting to the docks were not more then ladders leaned against the banks. Now, there are nice wide stairs and ramps that lead down to the floating docks that would probably pass ADA standards. The visibility was also 100X clearer. It's a pretty cool place with the submerged vehicles and such. If you are in the area it's worth the trip there.

I was just there a month ago. The vis still sucks. It was around 6ft when I was there. Water temp was 52*F. The facility is nice with the new dive platforms/docks.

I was a guide there about 15 years ago and have not been back since. Just out of curiosity, did they do anything to improve visibility, or was this something that "naturally" occured? Just wondering what they could have done to improve viz.

I was a guide there about 15 years ago and have not been back since. Just out of curiosity, did they do anything to improve visibility, or was this something that "naturally" occured? Just wondering what they could have done to improve viz.

They put in a pump/filter system, I have not been there since they got it up and running but last year before the system was running the vis was about 20 to 25 feet at 120 feet, so it should be better. They were also talking about vacuuming the walls and bottom.

They are currently getting ready to add a fire truck with ladder extended on the bottom. They were still stripping it down when I was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom