Aladin Tec 2G vs SMARTCOM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KingNept

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking to get a brand new dive computer and decided on the tec 2g since they are discontinuing the prime and I can get it at the same price but for $100 more the LDS is offering me a SMARTCOM. Anyone have any dealings with both of these computers?

My wife and I both have the TEC 2G. I use it more than she does and I love it. I cannot speak one way or the other on the SmartCom as I know nothing about it. So far the TEC 2G has done everything I have asked of it. Seams like a good solid unit to me. I would suspect the SmartCom would be equally as solid with additional features.

The four of us in the family all use SmartCom's and love them.

They are easy to use and easy to see for us middle aged divers.

It is a pain to get the battery changed as it has to be sent back to Scubapro for that, and my experience with turnaround is that it is not quick.

There have been threads about the reliability of the SmartCom as well.

I don't have any experience with any other computer as I have seen threads about reliability with other computers as well.

We have had some issues, but we always carry spares so it has not ruined any dives.

I understand the SmartCom has been discontinued and the new model will be out this summer.

Overall, we love them.

From my experience both computers will give the diver the functions they need depending on the diving you're doing. The Tec 2G is a great computer with gauge mode and bottom timers built into it so if you're getting in Tec-diving it's a great computer to grow with.

That being said, the SmartCom has the Air-integraded technology, which has given many divers a great diving experience. Diving with Air integraded computers is awesome because it will give you features other computers and SPGs can't.

Both computers are great and have their advantages depending on the diving you're doing. The SmatCom used to retail for near $1000. To get it for almost half that price is a STEAL :)

Either way, both of these computers will do what you need and I think whichever you choose will be the right decision.

Thanks a lot guys. I went ahead and purchased the Tec 2g. As much as an air integrated computer sounded great especially at $600 I'm just starting to dive a lot more since I only got certified last summer and I did notice in some of the threads I looked through people having problems with the batteries and the turnaround time to replace one. Maybe down the line I can replace my computer with the newest SMARTCOM however from what I saw the next dive computer in the catalog is going to be....$2000!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom