Florida Keys....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msubryan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am making a trip to the keys in 2 weeks ( Mar 28-Apr. 2). I have a couple questions..

Found a lot of good dive shops, but most want to take shallow reef dives. I am looking for a good shop that will do wrecks and deeper 60+ft barges and such..I am definately wanting to hit the spiegal grove and the T-bolt. Also considering the Vanderburg.
Thoughts>?

Hotels seem pretty high...i am about to book at the yellowtail inn, but it looks like a dump for 100+ night...most of the rest seem to be 150+..

I have searched the forum some, but found nothing in Marathon or Key Largo with reasonable rates..

I am interested in doing some spearfishing and would gladly pitch in on gas for anyone who is interested. I live in MS and do most of my diving around oil rigs spearing snapper.

Thanks!!

I am making a trip to the keys in 2 weeks ( Mar 28-Apr. 2). I have a couple questions..

Found a lot of good dive shops, but most want to take shallow reef dives. I am looking for a good shop that will do wrecks and deeper 60+ft barges and such..I am definately wanting to hit the spiegal grove and the T-bolt. Also considering the Vanderburg.
Thoughts>?

Hotels seem pretty high...i am about to book at the yellowtail inn, but it looks like a dump for 100+ night...most of the rest seem to be 150+..

I have searched the forum some, but found nothing in Marathon or Key Largo with reasonable rates..

I am interested in doing some spearfishing and would gladly pitch in on gas for anyone who is interested. I live in MS and do most of my diving around oil rigs spearing snapper.

Thanks!!

You may do well to look at dive & lodging packages from the dive ops you're considering using. I assume you realize there's 100+ miles between the Vandenburg and the SG, right??

For Key Largo I can get you into a nice place for 80 to 99 a night. For Marathon I will call a friend of mine in the morning and get back with you on a "nice" cheap place to stay and see when he is doing the T-Bolt for Key West that's out of my range for hotels and Motels the last time I stayed it was around 130 a night in a condo overlooking the beach and that was last year.

The reefs are better in Key Largo, but I also have a boat in Tavernier so that we can do the Eagle and any of the other dive sites should anyone want to.

We are looking at going for our honeymoon to the keys wear should we go?

I went with Silent World a couple of weeks ago. They set us up with a 1 bedroom suite at Key West Hotel mm100 for $99/night. Not fancy but fine. Their dms are great.

I've been using It's a Dive in Key Largo for years. The crew and boats are excellent; I've never been on a boat with more than a dozen or so peeps.

It's colocaated with the Marriott: Good News=you're about a 2 minute walk from hotel room door to boat; bad news=Marriott is pricey compared to some of the other places. I've been on IAD boats with non-Marriott-guests and their prices are roughly the same as other operators.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom