Max depth indicator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airizzy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a new Sherwood depth gauge in a navigational console and I have noticed a couple of odd reading. The last two week ends I have dived at a local lake formed by a hot springs. The max depth of this lake(more like pond) is 22-24 feet. I never saw the depth gauge exceed 22ft. However, the max depth needle is indicating 30ft. I have also seen the needle move from 0 to about 5ft. while sitting in my work room at home. Can the change in atmospheric temp or press cause the max depth needle move? Could have the water movement from the hot water pots in the lake cause a faults reading? The altitude I live and dove is just under 5000 ft. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

The max depth indicator is pushed by the depth indicator needle itself so it stays at the "max" that the indicator needle itself got to during a dive.

If the max depth "reset" is not tight then bumping or rubbing the front of the gauge can increase or decrease the indicated max depth.....

Sounds like yours might be easy to move......

M

So I tried a little experiment. I placed the console in a bucket of cool water and let the temp stabilize. The temp was about 70 deg. I used the thumb screw to set the max needle to 22ft. I then put the gauge into a bucket with warm water about 95 deg. As the gauge warmed up the max depth needle moved from 22 ft to 31 ft all by itself. ???????????????

Interesting........

That is a significant change, I don't know how the ambient water temp would change the max depth so much......

I looked at some gauges I have and the thumbscrew is firm, is yours easy to turn?

M

wow........:confused:

Maybe other SB's have ideas..........

M

Ya, I know. I tried to simulate the gauge in the water and then swimming over one of the hot pots in the hot springs. I couldn't figure why the gauge said 30ft when I know the pond is only 22-24 ft. The only other time I have used this gauge is in a 12ft pool with no problems.

So is there anyone out there that might know why this happens. Maybe a Sherwood engineer has an answer.

Back
Top Bottom