Depth Ratings for CCr's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I get the impression that CCr's are rated for 100m depth max but I also read that divers went deeper than 100m with their CCr's. I am confused on the CCr depth limits.

Are different brand/model CCr's rated to a maximum depths divers can't/shouldn't exceed at all? If so, do manufacturers have kits to upgrade these CCr's to go deeper? If a ccr diver wants to go deeper than 100m for example with a CCr, what do they have to do to get a CCr that goes deeper, or much deeper?

For the most part this is a relatively arbitrary rating.

The pressure sensitive items IE depth sensor, I would surmise have no issues on nearly all modern units to achieve 100m+. (Shearwater being a primary electronics manufacturer has posted no 100m limits I have seen)

Aside from that there is seriously little difference in pressure from ambient to inside the unit that is because you are constantly equalizing the unit.

Post an example and we can discuss unit specific limits from there. iE Poseidon gatekeeping battery etc.

MCCR do have depth limits because of the O2 first stages. Mine is limited to 300 feet. If I want (will never happen) to go beyond that I need to carry a offboard O2 supply.

Right on I hadn't considered a MCCR as the kind of limit being referenced. So worth mentioning for sure. Non depth compensating regulators do require some forethought into dive planning and subsequently user adjustments if needed.

I get the impression that CCr's are rated for 100m depth max but I also read that divers went deeper than 100m with their CCr's. I am confused on the CCr depth limits.
People have been way past 200m on CCR, although rarely in a stock configuration. You do need to know what you're doing or you'll end up like David Shaw

CCR "ratings" are really just a tested depth of stock units for CE and liability reasons.

MCCR do have depth limits because of the O2 first stages. Mine is limited to 300 feet. If I want (will never happen) to go beyond that I need to carry a offboard O2 supply.
not necessarily
you can get a smaller orifice and bump up your IP to 200+psi to maintain the same flow
you can do something similar with needle valves either with or without a blocked 1st stage

JJCCR with no modifications taken down to 290 meters.

I don't think anything recreational is rated for deeper than 100m for the same reason that no recreational certification goes deeper than 100m. It's not worth the liability and testing costs.
As far as I know megs, jj, treb, xccr, sentinel, ourobors, inspiration and probably a bunch more have been taken over 200m but all of them except the boris were not stock.

I believe the only certification for rebreathers is CE. There test standards only go to 100m
Of the training available, 100m is as far as they go as well.

Past 100m you really need to know what you are doing and how the equipment works. Nobody is going to say you have the skills to do it. And put there name that they approve you doing so. Same for the equipment. The manufacturer will show that it will work down to 100m. But after that, most will still work but they are not going to make the claims.

I believe the only certification for rebreathers is CE.
Just a little nitpick. Technically CE is not a certification. By putting the CE on a product, the manufacturer or the importer declares conformity with the EU standards.
Lots of CE labeled products have never gone through any third party testing and don't have to.
Rebreathers fall under PPE and have to be tested by a third party under EN14143. (https://www.beuth.de/en/standard/din-en-14143/169769832)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom