Lobstering in the Keys after opening weekend ... how good is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaginCajun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What do you guys think about lobstering in the Keys after opening weekend? I would guess after mini-season and the opener the number of folks digging for bugs should go down, but how plentiful are spiny's after opening week? I hear that on opening weekend you can see them from the boat in clear water, but wasn't sure just how difficult it gets after that.

I'm trying to coordinate a group of 6-10 divers for a lobstering trip, but looks like we won't have the numbers for opening weekend and may have to reschedule a few weeks to months later and I was trying to figure out the pro's & con's.

The guys have been going on opening weekend for the last few years in Marathon renting a house & boat for the week any suggestions on lodging and boat rental would be welcome too.

Pros: fewer divers,lower prices,friendlier Conchs,still bugs around

Cons: fewer bugs,middle of hurricane season,warmer temps

We spent 20 years of Augusts in the Keys from Tavernier to Little Torch with a few Septembers and 2 weeks in December-Jan.Dove every day there was not a hurricane nearby.As the season wears on there are generally fewer bugs but still doable.Occasionally a late season would have you right in the meat of the season.Eateries are less crowded and incidents on the water are rare.

After the two day mini season the commercial lobster season opens up and the reef is full of lobster pots. By the time the regular sport diving season opens there are still lobster but you have to use your hunting skills a little more.
We catch lobster all season but definitely the best results are during mini-season and earlier in the regular season. It's always a lot of fun and always a challenge.
We have a commercial sportfishing license for our boat with a lobster endorsement which is required for a commercial dive boat if divers want to bring back lobster. Similar to how a commercial sportfishing boat has to have a commercial sportfishing license. This means that the individual diver or in the sportfishing boat case the fishermen don't need to have individual fishing licenses.
Individual licenses are only required on a non-commercial boat so if you are diving on a friends boat be sure to get your individual licenses.
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom