Upper Michigan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a little out of my range but I would like to hear from members who dive this area . My hat is off to those who do some of the best of all wrecks which is the Great Lakes . I was visiting my son in St. Ignace , with Coast Guard Cutter Biscayne Bay . This is no place for the warm water vacation types only the rough and tough .

There are more good Wrecks than you can shake a stick at in St. Ignace. The Straights Of Mackinac have in my opinion the finest Wreck diving in the world. You can drive to the Thunder Bay Underwater Preserve in Alpena. Whitefish Point near Sault Ste Marie and also great diving across the border in Ontario. I live in sunny Florida but, was lucky to grow up in Northern Michigan.

Charles Bart: If you get the chance, you should try it sometime. It's really not all that bad. Many of us dive in wetsuits year 'round (including ice dives). Anywhere you go in the Great Lakes, you'll find something incredible. From diving the wrecks in the Straits, to Pictured Rocks in Munising. Even the Bay of Green Bay have nice wrecks (although viz can be a problem) but down by Sheboygan, WI there are some dandies. My husband and I went out this weekend to bouy some wrecks in the Bay of Green Bay and on one of the usually "worst" dives because of viz (usually less than 1 foot) was a beautiful surprise. 40 ft viz. There was a small thermocline at 80 feet just holding the silt above the wreck. From the bow, you could see both masts... Out in the lakes, the viz is usually pretty good. There is just something about diving here... We take one trip to warm water each winter and the whole time I'm in the water I can't wait to get home....

Any time you want to give it a go, just let us know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom