Switchback Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinnytwiggy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a question about the crossback design on this harness - is it sewn dead to form the cross? If it is, would it be possible to remove the stitching without compromising the condition of the straps so that I can have the straps straight instead? I like the quick release buckle and the additional pivot ring/point as compared to the Solo harness.

By posting here you were probably hoping for an expert answer, and hopefully you'll get one eventually. In the meantime:

I am not familiar with this particular harness. In general, it seems to be the Scubaboard consensus that a simple harness constructed from one piece of continuous webbing is the best choice. I tried a fancier harness for a while before opting for the simpler solution. The reasons often cited for avoiding quick releases are that they are a "potential failure point," or an "equipment solution to a skills problem." I don't find these particularly persuasive. I did find the fancy harness needlessly complex and no more confortable, but a quick release on the left shoulder doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. I have no trouble doffing and donning my rig without one, though.

It doesn't look stitched. It looks like there's some plastic hardware keeping the webbing crossed. If it is, though, I doubt that removing the stitching would compromise the integrity of the straps. In any case, webbing is pretty cheap. It looks like it might have a couple of superfluous d-rings, too.

Last edited:
I have a question about the crossback design on this harness - is it sewn dead to form the cross? If it is, would it be possible to remove the stitching without compromising the condition of the straps so that I can have the straps straight instead? I like the quick release buckle and the additional pivot ring/point as compared to the Solo harness.

The switchback harness is not sewn to form the cross, this is only how the harness is woven through the backplate. If one wishes, they can thread it to fit straight over the shoulder instead.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom