Spaces available on upcoming scientific research diving trip to the Bahamas, May 9-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cross posting from the Bahamas board, just to get the word out in as many places as possible.

Greetings Scubaboard,

I wanted to let you all know about a diving opportunity. Many apologies for the short notice.

Ocean Research and Education Foundation, a non-profit that I work with, is taking a short research cruise to the Bahamas next week and we have a few spaces available for anyone who would like to come along.

All experience levels are welcome. No previous scientific diving experience is necessary. Come enjoy the waters of The Bahamas, lend a hand to marine scientists, and you'll learn something interesting too!

The rate is $995 per person and includes all diving, three meals a day, and taxes. The trip is BYOB, but of course, once you start drinking, you're done diving for the day. The rate is significantly lower than normal for this amount of time on a live aboard dive boat.

We will need to know ASAP if you intend to join us (no later than 5pm Thursday, May 6, 2010).

I have attached a flyer with some details on the trip and contact information.

We hope you can join us!

-Adam Harrison
Ocean Research and Education Foundation
SDI divemaster: 11927

Attachments

• OREpromoPoster.jpg
    OREpromoPoster.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 49
I see Dr Ginsburg's name on the flyer, he's an amazing person. I wish I had the time/money to go on the trip.

Hi Dennis,

I've known Dr Ginsburg for a few years now, and have have the privilege of working directly under him for the past two.

I can say without hesitation that you're right, he is amazing.

From your profile I see that you were at RSMAS once upon a time. I've been here since '08, when were you here?

I worked for Dr Ginsburg as a tech in the early 80's when he had the lab on Fisher Island. Drilled a lot of cores in the Bahamas, chasing the elusive dolomite layer.:D

I did an internship as a gopher with him in the 70's for his gotme course, geology of the tropical marine environment, running boats, driving the van etc.

Lots of good memories.

In order to be a "scientific diving" project (and thus exempt from OSHA) one must:

1. be part of a program administered by a Diving Control Board has consists of a majority of active scientific divers and has autonomous and absolute authority over the scientific diving program's operations.
  2. have as purpose of the project using scientific diving the advancement of science; therefore, information and data resulting from the project are non-proprietary.
  3. recognize that the tasks of a scientific diver are those of an observer and data gatherer. Construction and trouble-shooting tasks traditionally associated with commercial diving are not included within scientific diving.
  4. understand that scientific divers, based on the nature of their activities, must use scientific expertise in studying the underwater environment and, therefore, are scientists or scientists in training.
So wait just a minute ... it needs to be pointed out that this is NOT scientific diving, this is a liveaboard trip to the Bahamas with a scientifically sophisticated guide. At best, it only meets half of the criteria (2 and 3).

So the reality is that the project is being conducted in violation of RSMAS (Univ. of Miami) scientific diving regulations as well as AAUS standards and OSHA rules.

While it may be a great trip, and the folks on it may learn a lot, pretending that it has anything what-so-ever to do with, "scientific research diving" is simply wrong.

Last edited:
In order to be a "scientific diving" project (and thus exempt from OSHA) one must:

1. be part of a program administered by a Diving Control Board has consists of a majority of active scientific divers and has autonomous and absolute authority over the scientific diving program's operations.
  2. have as purpose of the project using scientific diving the advancement of science; therefore, information and data resulting from the project are non-proprietary.
  3. recognize that the tasks of a scientific diver are those of an observer and data gatherer. Construction and trouble-shooting tasks traditionally associated with commercial diving are not included within scientific diving.
  4. understand that scientific divers, based on the nature of their activities, must use scientific expertise in studying the underwater environment and, therefore, are scientists or scientists in training.
So wait just a minute ... it needs to be pointed out that this is NOT scientific diving, this is a liveaboard trip to the Bahamas with a scientifically sophisticated guide. At best, it only meets half of the criteria (2 and 3).

So the reality is that the project is being conducted in violation of RSMAS (Univ. of Miami) scientific diving regulations as well as AAUS standards and OSHA rules.

While it may be a great trip, and the folks on it may learn a lot, pretending that it has anything what-so-ever to do with, "scientific research diving" is simply wrong.

Item 4 has me puzzled "scientists or scientists in training", does that mean technicians (who are not scientists or scientists in training) are not eligible to be scientific divers?

The interpretation has always been that technicians are people who "do" science and are thus "scientists or scientists in training."

Thalassamania is correct that this trip is not being conducted under the auspices of AAUS, and therefore should not be labeled specifically as a "scientific research cruise".

It is more accurate to call it a liveaboard trip that happens to be headed by a geologic expert who has approximately 60 years of experience in the field.

Many apologies for the confusion

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom