May Catalunya Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vickobcn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,
Anyone out and about diving Catalunya this month? I headed up to Palamos last Sunday to dive the Boreas. We were all set and ready to head up north from Barcelona when we stopped for a coffee. Came back to the car and wouldn't you know it but the battery decided to play dead. We were frustrated, thinking that we were going to have to call the dive before we'd even left the city limits. But as soon as we rolled a little (and the RACC were on their way) the car decided that even though it WAS sunday, it would work for a little while longer... so back on the road up to Palamos!
For those that don't know this wreck, it is a small boat that was originally detained by Spanish Customs back in the 80's for carrying 600kg of hash (or so the story goes!). It was later bought by some scuba clubs in the area and sunk to make an artificial reef. Sits in about 30 metres of water. I had a max depth of 29.3m and was only down for 25 minutes (I had dry suit issues - need a new neck seal, and my buddy was cold in his semi-dry in the 14 degree celcius water). On the trip back the port we were lucky enough to see a couple of sun fish (mola mola), all in all a good start to my Northern Hemisphere diving season...

Later in the week we headed south of Barcelona, on Tuesday to Aiguadolç in Sitges and on Wednesday to Cubelles in a search for a suitable spot to take OW divers. We were looking for around 10 metres of depth, sandy bottom with some boulders for something to look at. What we found in both spots was a max of 5 metres depth (averaging 3 metres) and sand, sand, sand and more sand. I think I saw one sea star in 2 hours of combined bottom time. Anyone been diving in this area and found something interesting?

This weekend I'm heading north again to Sant Feliu de Guixols to dive Eden Rock.

Any one else diving around here? Any suggestions for cool beach dives? I posted a question about this a year ago without responses but am interested to see if anyone has been diving since then...

Safe diving! :)

Wow, looks dark, sounds cold...
I will be in Barcelona and have been told that the local sites are just as you described..barren.
Heading north was the recommendation to Costa Brava and perhaps a quick flight to the Balearic Islands.
Have 3 dive days in June in Mallorca planned and am looking for input as well.
Good luck and keep posting info. Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom