Aeries Ion AT400 in Nor Cal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in the SF Bay Area and dive Monterey Bay. I'm looking to buy my first reg and our shop uses the Aeris A1 as rentals.

I'm thinking about getting the Aeris Ion AT400 but the manual (seems to be the same one for all regs) says not to use them under 50F. Temps where I've been diving (never lower than 60 ft) have been 51-54F.

Should I look for another reg? Or do you think the Aeris Ion would be a good fit for me? I doubt I will ever dive colder than here. We do 1-2 tropical vacations a year as well.

EDIT: If a mod is around, can you fix my typo in the title? Should be Aeris- we use software at work spelled Aeries hehe :)

Don't quote me on this but I think it says not to use their piston regs in the cold water. Instead they suggest using a sealed diaphragm reg, which I believe the at 400 first stage that comes with the ION is.

Please weigh in if you can confirm or deny this.

The AT400 is a sealed first stage and it should be ok in cold water. I know very little about the ION second stage since I have yet to service one but it should be ok in the temps you describe. Just make sure you're not breathing too heavily until you know the reg pretty well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom