Left hip D Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphiprion

Contributor
Reaction score
First of all I'm not DIR trained, but I do some tech diving. What I don't understand from the DIR setup is the lackof a right hip D ring and why it seems that everything gets clipped to the left hip D ring.

For me:
LH - 1 or 2 deco bottles
LS - 1 or 2 deco bottles, optional light and spg
RS - optional light, primary reg, lower deco regwhen switching to higher deco reg
RH - spools or reels and SMBs

I can understand that a canister light could get in the way when dealing with a RH d-ring if not configured correctly, but it doesn't make sense to me to clip 5 or more bolt snaps on a D ring that is somewhat blocked by deco bottles. Am I missing something?

trapping the long hose.

It's just not an issue with some practice to keep two bottles on the left side. Any more can go on a leash (or leashes). Keeps the right side free for unimpeded long hose deployment.

Reel can get clipped off to the butt d-ring (or, if it's going to be deployed very shortly, to the eye of a deco bottle bolt snap or left shoulder d-ring). SMBs go in a pocket or on the plate (MC pouch or bungeed along the bottom). Spools in a pocket.

Also, IIRC (I haven't trained up that far yet), but more than 2 bottles and the others go on a leash.

If you put a d-ring on the right hand side, you'll complicate issues with a can light, trap your long hose, and the tanks there will get trapped in the scooter propwash.

Also, IIRC (I haven't trained up that far yet), but more than 2 bottles and the others go on a leash.

If you put a d-ring on the right hand side, you'll complicate issues with a can light, trap your long hose, and the tanks there will get trapped in the scooter propwash.
Umm, no.

Everything else is correct.

FWIW there reaches a practical limit where clipping bottles far back on the left side is even acceptable, but I doubt many of us are doing those dives.
n733756758_470436_2689.jpg

Blasphemers!!

Umm, no.

Everything else is correct.

FWIW there reaches a practical limit where clipping bottles far back on the left side is even acceptable, but I doubt many of us are doing those dives.
n733756758_470436_2689.jpg

Completely off topic, but I'd like to get a good look at that "manifold" on what looks like doubles attached to that rebreather. 2nd thought, I'd just like to have a good look at the whole system. My experience with rebreathers is limited, & I'v not seen anything remotely like it before.

Completely off topic, but I'd like to get a good look at that "manifold" on what looks like doubles attached to that rebreather. 2nd thought, I'd just like to have a good look at the whole system. My experience with rebreathers is limited, & I'v not seen anything remotely like it before.
RB80_backview01.jpg

I've seen several of them here locally, and it seems each one I see is slightly different. I guess it's gone through a lot of changes.

Bob Sherwood asked why I had a right D-ring on my waist webbing and I explained that's where Florida divers clip-off their lobster catch bag and a spear gun sometimes. He said that was very interesting as he slid it off and let hit the floor...:depressed:

Bob Sherwood asked why I had a right D-ring on my waist webbing and I explained that's where Florida divers clip-off their lobster catch bag and a spear gun sometimes. He said that was very interesting as he slid it off and let hit the floor...:depressed:

as he should, otherwise the strokes would be running the asylum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom