Sherwood Wisdom 2 Still Thinks It Is Wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wve

MSDT
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Okay. This is becoming annoying.

My Wisdom 2, which I love underwater, has started this nasty habit of reading "WET" when I have been out of water for more than 2 days.

I was on a live-aboard, and each day after diving, I soaked the computers in fresh water for 30-60 minutes. After the last day of diving, I soaked them again for a couple of hours.

Now I'm home, and they are still reading wet. I soaked them AGAIN overnight, and they still think they are wet.

Tried using a Q-tip and toothbrush to clean around the contacts, just in case there was still some salt residue there. Tried using a hair dryer (gently on low heat), and I noticed that while blowing on the front of the computer, it would change from WET to TIME as long as I was holding the dryer on it. As soon as I moved the dyer, it would revert to WET. But the other computer continued to read WET no matter what.

Anyone else having this problem? If so, have you figured out how to fix/avoid it?

I'm kinda surprised no one has replied to this, because I have had a few buddies tell me they have had the same problem...

Mr Sherwood rep, can you tell me exactly how the computer knows that it is "wet" and what might make it think it is still wet when it is not? Any advice from the manufacturer angle?

The computer knows it is wet when conductive material (water) bridges gap between the wet sensor probes. Check to see that your probes are not bent and making contact. If you have your instruction book it explains wet activation on page 24. If you don't have an instruction book you can down load one from the Sherwood website.

The computer knows it is wet when conductive material (water) bridges gap between the wet sensor probes. Check to see that your probes are not bent and making contact. If you have your instruction book it explains wet activation on page 24. If you don't have an instruction book you can down load one from the Sherwood website.

Thanks. I had seen that, but was wondering exactly which probes are the wet sensor probes. Are they the data connection contacts, or are they inside somewhere?

The book says to soak the computer in a mixture of half water and half vinegar. I didn't do that, but it was my next step.

Instead, I just turned wet activation off (in the settings), let the computer time out and turn off, then when I turned it back on, it no longer thought it was wet.

After being pretty darned sure that all moisture and salt had been removed, and when visual inspection appeared to confirm this, it occurred to me that it might be a software glitch, not a hardware problem. (After all, it IS a computer.) So I basically tried the equivalent of a soft reboot.

Just wondering from Mr Sherwood if there is any validity to my thinking, or if I just got lucky...

When set in the water contact mode, the computer is very sensitive in detecting moisture. Sometimes when around wet gear, on multi day trips or on rainy days, the computer will think it is still wet. Any amount of moistue in the boot will also make it read wet even though it appears dry. We have not had any problems with this issue regarding performance but we have had a few questions. There does not appear to be a software/hardware glitch just a sensitive sensor. Sherwood computers carry an industry standard 2 year warranty to the original owner when purchased from an authorized dealer. If it still shows WET for days after drying it completely, take the compuer into any authorized dealer for inspection and if needed, the dealer will get it back here for inspection and testing. Please bring your proof of purchase with you when you go to the dealer.

When set in the water contact mode, the computer is very sensitive in detecting moisture. Sometimes when around wet gear, on multi day trips or on rainy days, the computer will think it is still wet. Any amount of moistue in the boot will also make it read wet even though it appears dry. We have not had any problems with this issue regarding performance but we have had a few questions. There does not appear to be a software/hardware glitch just a sensitive sensor. Sherwood computers carry an industry standard 2 year warranty to the original owner when purchased from an authorized dealer. If it still shows WET for days after drying it completely, take the compuer into any authorized dealer for inspection and if needed, the dealer will get it back here for inspection and testing. Please bring your proof of purchase with you when you go to the dealer.

Where is the sensor? Is it internal, external, user accessible (for drying/cleaning purposes)?

The sensor detects the water externally and is conntected internally but any attempt to access/modify would void the warranty. The manual is generic so users will not open the unit and void the warranty. It is designed to not have to dry it with a blow dryer or have the user dry it manually. If you feel it is not funcitoning correctly please take it to a dealer for inspection with your proof of purchase.

I know this is an older thread, but, I had almost the same problems with my Cressi Archimede computer as the OP and his Wisdom. It usually happens with salt water diving. I just try to make sure the fresh water rinse is fresh and give it a little submerged shaking and rub the contacts. When done soaking, I shake the excess water off and towel dry. No scientific proof this was all it took, it just seemed to work at the times it was an issue.

DET

Back
Top Bottom