Question on DR 700LED light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apadua

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i Guys,

I purchased a DiveRite 700 LED. Upon receiving it i thought it was, well, weak. Actually, it's not that it was weak - it's that the three LEDs are misaligned and you get three squares of light that look like a card player holding three square cards. So i thought it could be better, but being relatively new to night diving I didn't really know how to judge it. I used it on a few dives and thought it was good enough, so I relaxed about that.

I then purchased a backup lite - an Intova 4.7W with the tight beam (they have a wide edition).

I'm having a hard time understanding what's happening - the Intova has a much stronger hotspot, (possibly?) because it's so much tighter than the DR. Perhaps I need pictures to illustrate how much stronger. Both had fresh batteries when I tested.

My question is this - how do I find out if my DR is good or if it's a faulty unit? If it is what it is, then that's ok - I should have done more research before buying. But if not, i'd like to get it looked at while it's still under warranty.

Thanks,

Andre

The short answer is that your Dive Rite light is not "faulty" but it is also not up to the previous standard in terms of focus for their LED lights.

I had the same issue with two Dive Rite LED lights I had upgraded for more power. One was an LED 700 that I had upgraded to a LUX and theother was an LED 500 handheld that I had upgraded to an LED 700 handheld.

In both cases, the lights were very well focused prior to the upgrade (all 3 square elements overlaid in a very round and even 12 point star configuration) and both of them had the 3 card effect you describe on return after the upgrade.

I called Dive Rite and was advised that I would not notice the effect in the water, and I let the issue go until I put more time on them in caves. However the DR prediction that I would not notice has not proven to be the case either in wrecks or in caves. I am not nearly as happy with the lights post upgrade as I was pre-upgrade.

I was at DR in Lake City last week, but did not pursue the issue then however I do plan to call them in the next week or two and see if anything can be done to fix the focus problem.

i Guys,

I purchased a DiveRite 700 LED. Upon receiving it i thought it was, well, weak. Actually, it's not that it was weak - it's that the three LEDs are misaligned and you get three squares of light that look like a card player holding three square cards. So i thought it could be better, but being relatively new to night diving I didn't really know how to judge it. I used it on a few dives and thought it was good enough, so I relaxed about that.

I then purchased a backup lite - an Intova 4.7W with the tight beam (they have a wide edition).

I'm having a hard time understanding what's happening - the Intova has a much stronger hotspot, (possibly?) because it's so much tighter than the DR. Perhaps I need pictures to illustrate how much stronger. Both had fresh batteries when I tested.

My question is this - how do I find out if my DR is good or if it's a faulty unit? If it is what it is, then that's ok - I should have done more research before buying. But if not, i'd like to get it looked at while it's still under warranty.

Thanks,

Andre

Hi Andre,

Please give Mike a shout at service@diverite.com. You shouldn't be seeing three separate playing cards, however due to the nature of three LED diodes vs. one LED diode (as with the Intova) the beam will appear more dispersed on land vs. in-water.

Mike will get you fixed up if there's a problem with the light.

Best,
Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom