DIR-F question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon

Contributor
Reaction score
I was interested in a DIR-F class and after checking the GUE website it listed reccomended gear configurations. How strict are they on that reccomendation? If I show up with my current config (bp/wing, integrated octo/inflator, no weightbelt, etc) will I still be able to attend the class or are they stringent on the equipment configuration?
(and before you ask, I really have no plans for cave diving, so my thinking behind my octo/inflater was more for myself and to keep streamlined, I wasnt concerned about having a octo trailing behind me in a cave. )

GUE has certain gear requirements now for their classes here are the ones for the DIRF class

Equipment Requirements
Each student shoud have and be familiar with all of the following required equimpent:

1.Tanks/Cylinders: Students may use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first stages. Students may also use a single tank/cylinder with a K, H, or Y valve

2.Regulators: One of the second stages must be on a 5 to 7 foot/1.5 to 2 meter hose. One of the first stages must supply a pressure gauge and provide inflation for a dry suit where applicable)

3.Buoyancy Compensators: Back-mounted wings, mated with a harness and a back plate are recommended.

4.At least one depth-measuring device

5.Decompression tables

6.Mask and fins (fins must be of the non-split variety)

7.At least one cutting device

8.Underwater slate or Wet Notes

9.One reel/spool, with 100 feet/30 meters of line per diver

10.One primary reel per team, with a minumum of 300 feet/90 meters of line

11.Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure

I would call them up and ask them if your situation is acceptable by their standards. I can't imagine why one would want to use something like that in the first place though. BTW, in an overhead environment, you never have an "octo" trailing behind you. In a gas sharing situation, your primary reg would be in your buddies mouth and you would be breathing your backup reg. Out of curiousity, is the hose length of your current primary enough to give some space between a buddy and you, or is it standard length?

I'm definitely not DIR but I do know that you should be prepared to do some equipment modifications according to what you have described. They might allow a small amout of variance, but not much. Their gear recommendations are listed on their website. You can bet your bottom dollar you will comply extremely close to there configurations. After all, you are there to learn their system not learn to dive with yours.

The best thing to do is talk to the GUE instructor you are considering taking the class with. If your goals are purely rec in nature, then they will likely be somewhat more relaxed with the gear requirements for the class....but will still be pushing you towards what they feel is an optimal gear set-up.

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure they will not like the integrated octo/inflator -- the logic being that it is more difficult to control your buoyancy during an air-share if you have the inflator stuck in your mouth. One of the skills you will likely have to perform during the course is ascent/descent drills while air-sharing. Example -- start air-sharing on the bottom (at say 20 feet), take 30 seconds to go from 20 to 10. Hold a stop at 10 for 30 seconds. Take 30 seconds to go from 10 to the surface. Of course it is possible to do this with the inflator in your mouth....but if given the option, I think they would ask whether you would rather have the inflator free to use just in case....

Bottom line -- talk to an instructor. All the GUE folks I've spoken to are reasonable and helpful......and better to get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

large_diver once bubbled...
The best thing to do is talk to the GUE instructor you are considering taking the class with.

You'll get better answers about this from any GUE instructor. Mike Kane (MHK) is one and a frequent contributor to this board. I believe there are others but I don't know who they are.

Cornfed

Hi GBrandon,
Thanks for the interest in the class.
To answer your question, the only piece of equipment that you described as part of your rig that would be questionable would be your integrated octo/inflator combo. And although the standards do not specifically disallow this particular piece of equipment, it is ultimately left to the discretion of the instructor. You should contact the proposed instructor to find out.
They are not allowed nor recommended in my DIRF classes. Because it is not specifically disallowed in the standards, another instructor may use the difficulties you experience with this piece of equipment to illustrate why they are not an optimal choice of dive gear.
Just my $0.02 worth. Good luck in your class...enjoy, have fun, and learn much!

Brandon Schwartz
(GUE Instructor)

When I did the DIR-F class for certification, a standard DIR setup was required. They don't require any specific brand.

I think that prior to the class being for certification, they did allow non-DIR setups.

I think you will be better off going ahead and switching to a DIR setup.

Thanks for all the replies. I never really considered the ascent problem with the integrated octo, but it does have merit. Mabye ill buy a DIR hose kit and switch this over for the class. That only leaves the weight pockets I put in. Does anyone see a problem with that? (again, asking the DIR instructor i am going to take the class from really is the best advice).

Weight pockets were allowed in my class, provided you were in a bp/wings setup.

The hose configuration is absolutely required. If you don't pick up a hose kit before the class, look at renting regs from the shop/instructor putting on the class. S-drills are a huge part of the class, and proper hose lengths are essential...

Have fun - your brain will be full be the end of the weekend.....

SS

gbrandon once bubbled...
Thanks for all the replies. I never really considered the ascent problem with the integrated octo, but it does have merit. Mabye ill buy a DIR hose kit and switch this over for the class. That only leaves the weight pockets I put in. Does anyone see a problem with that? (again, asking the DIR instructor i am going to take the class from really is the best advice).

Ignore Brandon's advise ;-).. Brando, good too see you on here, you missed an awesome weekend last weekend..

Brandon has done a great job of explaining our objection to the intergrated "octo", additionally you'll be putting an added failure point on your primary inflation source as well.

Moreover, in order for intergrated "octo" to be efficient during and air-share emergency you'll need full range of motion for your head. To the extent that you need such full range that requires that you extend the length of the corrugated hose on your inflation source, which when swimming just above floor [ ie; cave or wrecks] can cause silting. More importantly, the idea we try to instill in our students is one of consistency in terms of emergency response, we try to take the thinking out of the equation and train for a reaction. In other words, all team members are like configured and as such if an emergency occurs then you can respond without "thinking" the whereabouts of your buddies gear.

Someone else posted a fairly accurate portrayal of our thinking, the idea of gear requirements is so that we can teach fully our style of diving, they don't exist so we can teach ad hoc gear configuration adapted to a DIR style. Previously we used to allow any configuration in the class, and ironically enough, the vast majority of the students at the end of the class more fully understood the important issue, which is the WHY's behind each and every aspect of the system.. I see that you are from California, I live in Beverly Hills and do practice, fun dives on a regular basis at Redondo Beach [ Veteran's Park], in fact I'll be doing one a week from tonight so if you are local please feel free to join us and I'll discuss it in greater detail and we can try your approach and then the DIR approach and allow you to come to your own conclusions.. You can call me at 310-550-8004 if you have further questions..

Hope that helps..

Michael Kane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom