Monterey Sea on thur 28th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alibi 2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hubby was enroute to Monterey by 7am today...he called at 7:20 to tell me the ocean was dead flat!..He was working today on the Escapade dive boat with a private charter for filming of a movie..

Tonight he reported that they anchored inside Bluefish Cove at Lobos for filming (special permits)..He said that the floor in our family room has more ripples in it than the ocean today...and the vis. was at least 30'...he said they could see the film crew on the bottom filming..

They go out for another day of filming tommorrow so I will let you know in the evening the conditions...all the weather reports i could gather predicted today to be good, a green flag day on the water...tommorrow is supposed to kick up to a red flag day..

Beto Nava posted some pictures of the water from his run today . . . Monterey Bay looked like Puget Sound, flat as a pancake!

I've got to run to Home Depot in Seaside Friday morning. That will give
me a look at conditions. I'll post when I get back.

Saturday forecasts are all over the map. The NOAA C&M for Saturday say
W 4-6' The Navy WW3 I read as 8-12 WNW subsiding to 7 WNW by
dinner time. CDIP is on the high side of the middle. So please use an
extra dose of caution Saturday (and I think the NOAA folks have been
wildly optimistic this year).

I look at at least 3 different marine weather sites (two I have to pay for) and your right they can be all over the map...you really have to go and look most of the time...today it shows red flags and tommorrow thru the weeked cautionary yellow flags...

I will give an update on what it was today on the water after the boat gets in...Chuck is right use caution...one thing ive been doing the last year is to take the weather report, especially wind speed and directions and the swell condition and time between the swells...Remember that a 5' swell at 15 sec could be a flat ocean...but the shorter the time the rougher it will be...I have been out in at 10' swell (fishing) that was 18sec. and it was beautiful,,then I've been out in 10' at 12 sec and it was horrible....but what i have been doing is making a note in my dive log of the above info and what the actual condition (surf, vis) was and when i see the same conditions predicated it will help to give me an idea of what the conditions actually were before with those same conditions...

All the info does is help you to make a decision on if it is worth it to you to drive over and take a "look"...lol

Alibi_2: I'll bet you can get for free the same data you pay for.
The only folks with the supercomputers required to do forecasting
is the government.

All: Here's a comparison of this morning:

NOAA 9am coastal and marine forecast: 8-10' West
Navy WW3 modei: 9-12' West or WNW
CDIP forecast: 13'

The buoy has been over 11' since 5 am, most recent report (10 am)
was 12.8' West. at 16 seconds.;

The NOAA C&M started being consistently low about the first of
the year. They must have gotten rose-colored glasses for
Christmas.

Can't Chuck or I wouldnt pay for it...I need some of the long range data to start planning for long ocean crossings especially in Mexico...I upped some of the sites i have to paid just to get the long range mexico info ..and use it here too, cuz im paying for it after all..also need terrafin/choraphil info..some is avaliable for free but not as detailed...I do agree most divers wouldnt need this the free sites are great especially NOAA's new experiamental site..but I use the info for more than diving..which bouy are you looking at..with the 11'-12' seas seems your looking at the weather bouy. That is 27 miles offshore and is good if your going fishing for tuna but not a good idea of what we will have inshore..

This year most of the sites (even the ones that were the bible for sailors in Mexico have been way off)..I'm sorry about no update for yesterday but the boat didnt leave the harbor...Today it went out to just outside Bluefish cove..conditions were as follows: strong bottom current, approx. 15' vis, 15Knot plus winds from the get go and building..looked like a swell front coming in by Lobos. 6' plus swell from NW, confused sea, strong south wind and chop. Inside the bay it was very diveable at Eric's Pinnacle.

It rained almost all day here in Santa Cruz but no rain in Monterey. This evening the skys are showing blue in Santa Cruz and its dry. Tommorrows predictions are about the same but coming down.

What goes by the buoy hits the beach in about an hour and a half. Today's
swell was out of the west, so the breakwater and Lobos/Monastery got some
protection. Adm. Linda and I blew off diving, but stopped by the Breakwater
during a run to buy some rugs. It looked pretty flat. I got a ton of stuff
done, there are now lights in the garage.

Lobos tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom