The sea nettles are thick on Thanksgiving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just did a dive at Breakwater at 4PM. Thinking that the vis would be spectacular due to the wave models, I eagerly entered the water only to immediately swim into an absolute swarm of small 4 inch sea nettles dotted randomly with moon jellies. It was so thick it turned the color of the water into a dull brown and made everything very, very dim. And visibility by itself actually wasn't all that great. Earlier in the year I encountered swarms of large foot wide nettles, but I guess they just spawned? Now there are thousands. The sea floor was littered with dead and dying nettles as well. Not a single sign of a mola mola. I put my hand up to protect the small patch of lips and chin exposed by my hood, and of course in so doing I smacked a nettle right into my face. Ooooooo.... spicy.

Swam around for an hour and a half. The students over the weekend are going to have fun :wink:

Did you go out to the pipe, or down the wall? Would like to avoid them as much as possible tomorrow.

I went down the wall. Sticking close to the wall it's not bad at all, but as soon as you move about 20 feet away from the wall they get really thick as far as the eye can see (20ft, lol). You can try your luck with the pipes, but something tells me there will still be a bunch, only bigger... I don't really know though.

Well, we know Jim will be out with a bunch of students tomorrow. Pray we can find a bare patch of water/sand without them. I don't care to be stung. No bueno.

Wow had a great dive on BW. Just stayed low and close to the wall. If anyone wanted to have a class the anchor would be great. The Jelly didnt get bad till about 40 ft. Viz was really good.

I was planning to go out with a new diver friend tomorrow. Sea conditions (unless I'm misreading them as I usually do) looks pretty nasty so I was betting on BW. I really don't like jellies though.

Aquaregia, I'm at breakwater now. Viz is goof but the jellies are thick. I did, however run into a school of fish...herrings perhaps? I won't make the drive to dive tomorrow after looking at the wave model. Maybe next weekend.

Yes indeed! The boat churned right though them. The adults are at lobos by the thousands.

Attachments

• jellys.jpg
    jellys.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 93
Yes indeed! The boat churned right though them. The adults are at lobos by the thousands.

It's highly variable. Linda and I dove the Needle on Friday, there
were a fair number of jellies. Did Granite Pt. Wall for the second
dive, no jellies at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom