Dive Report: Black Bart, Hathaway Bridge Span 14 9/18/2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KansaiKitsune

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Went out on a boat dive with a few friends I met here in Panama City, Florida -- just a thing with friends, no charter. We set out in the afternoon, around 12:30, and headed out to the Gulf through the pass. On the way, we saw a large pod of dolphins near Shell Island, but they dove deep and didn't resurface until after we were past. The weather was absolutely perfect with near clear skies and very calm seas. We got to the Black Bart a short time later. While we were getting suited up, our captain's kids were swimming around the boat, and they got zapped by a few jellies, but it wasn't the severe kind -- a few moon jellies and stinging nettles were around, but getting stung certainly didn't keep the kids out of the water, and it certainly didn't keep us from getting in.

We entered at 2:21PM and made a rapid descent on the Bart, coming down on the cargo hold section of the ship, and we spent some time exploring the holds and the sides of the ship. We saw a total of one amberjack on the deck, a number of queen angelfish, many tropicals, a few sea cucumbers, numerous baitfish, and one very large, very rough looking barracuda which had taken it upon himself to claim the wheelhouse. The snapped line and the hook wedged in his mouth, as well as the scars on his completely black back told us that this fish was not to be messed with, so we gave him a wide berth. He just stared at us the entire time, his jaws flexing occasionally as he hovered in one stationary position. Eventually he either saw something more interesting, or he got tired of us staring at him, and he zipped out, leaving us free to examine the wheelhouse. I am pleased to announce that there is still a skeleton in the wheelhouse. Apparently the story is that one Halloween, some pranksters dove down and put a fake skeleton in there with a mask, snorkel, and an old reg to scare people -- especially people who were getting their certs on the Black Bart. It's getting a bit grown over, but it's still there, and some of the others managed to get some pictures with him. Passed into a large school of baitfish near the end and saw a huge moon jelly. I descended to the sand bottom just to get near max depth for a few seconds, but I stayed on top of the ship for the vast majority of the time and safety stopped at the end. I actually went into deco according to the PADI tables, but my dive computer never warned me, or fully filled the tissue loading indicator, probably due to the fact I stayed at a higher depth for the vast majority of the dive. Max depth was 77 ft. for a total time of 38 min.

Second dive was on one of the Hathaway Bridge spans, after a fairly lengthy surface interval. I'd driven over Hathaway Bridge countless times as a child, so seeing it again was a bit of nostalgia for me. The first thing I noticed when getting to depth was barracuda -- big ones. Everywhere. The only thing that kept running through my head was the guitar riff from the Heart song. At one point, one of the guys with me waved me over quickly, and I swam over. He was pointing at something under the bridge span, but we couldn't see anything -- that is until a massive goliath grouper suddenly emerged and began to swim a circle. Along the way, I saw him snap up something in his mouth, so chances are he was hungry and didn't want these pesky humans fouling it up for him. I noticed that the barracudas were following along behind the grouper, shadowing its every move. We went back to the bridge spans. Again, lots of tropicals and queen angelfish. A few illegal snapper near the bottom, a big moon jelly getting gnawed at by small fish. I noticed that there's a big bell on the top of one of the bridge spans -- it may have been put there to recall divers. I don't remember it being there when the bridge was in operation, but I was also never looking up that high. I hit a max depth of 75 (to see the goliath grouper) but ascended and stayed at around 30 for most of the dive, for a time of 39 minutes. I did get nailed in the chin by what I guess was jellyfish parts or larvae during my safety stop, but also got to get swarmed by a school of baitfish -- it was pretty nice.

All in all, a marvelous day -- no spearing, but good times and good training for all. Pictures should be forthcoming when I get them off the digital camera of the guys I was diving with. Incidentally, I know a lot of people have done the Black Bart and Span 14, but it was my first time on them -- I was pretty thrilled!

Great report, sounds like you had an excellent time out in the Gulf too :D

Lots of cuda on 14? I'll keep that in mind saturday. if we happen to hit that I'll lineshaft so I can get a couple.

I am bumping my own thread to post some images from these dives which I have finally downloaded!

speargun.jpg

Check out my l33t speargun. (Span 14)

DSC09167.jpg

Jewf... goliath grouper. (Span 14)

DSC09179.jpg

Me & dive buddy Trina sitting on Span 14.

DSC09166.jpg

"If the real thing don't do the trick, you'd better... make up something quick." (Span 14)

DSC09151.jpg

"You're gonna burn, burn, burn, burn, burn to the wick... barracuda!" -- this was one badass cuda. Check out the hook and line. (Black Bart)

DSC09147.jpg

Another of the badass barracuda. (Black Bart)

DSC09155.jpg

Captain Bones is still in the wheelhouse of the Bart. (Black Bart)

By the way -- photo tip, if someone would? What's the best way to avoid the green shift underwater? Do a white balance at depth with a white slate or something?

Yep, bring a slate and set manual white balance at depth, and redo it with any variation in depth of 10' or so...

Shoot RAW and fix it later :wink: Much much easier!

You can still work a bit with the colors in jpeg, but its hard to get the skin tones correctly without a curves tool(I'm using PSE4 without curves - PSE5 has it, I'll be upgrading soon).

I hope you don't mind, I goofed with one.

DSC09179.jpg

Hey, thanks SBM! I don't mind at all. That looks a lot more like I remember it, in fact. You even got the lily white shade of my skin down near perfect. :D

LOL yeah... I managed to bring a slight bit of color back in the girls legs, your pastiness is pretty hard to 'fix' though. :wink:

What are you using for editting?

I accredit that to my vampire-like aversion to sunlight and my computer nerdery. It's SPF50 for me, dudes.

Oh -- in response to your question, I use Photoshop 7 for editing. I haven't dropped the cash for CS2 yet.

Nice report and pix

I can't afford CS2 either, look into PS Elements 5, its quite powerfull for ~$100. PS7 has a curves tool, if you're not already, get proficient with it - it'll help immensely with color accuracy in post processing.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom