Open water course recommendation - San Francisco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktomlinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I have a friend that lives in San Francisco and asked me to ask around for an instructor recommendation. Can anyone (instructors included) recommend someone in the area? Someone that will make sure he learns a lot and isn't just a card factory? Thanks in advance!

My VERY strong recommendation would be for Don Chennavasin (ae3753 on this board). Don is an extremely nice person and both a skilled and highly trained diver (Full Cave, among other things). He's also a very good teacher and is adored by his students. He teaches a UTD open water class, which is a more comprehensive and longer class than many, and he and his wife are superb role models for excellent skills in the water. You cannot go wrong with Don.

Wallin's Dive Shop in San Carlos (a few minutes south of the city) comes with very good reviews. I certified with them 10+ years ago and completed a pool refresher earlier this year. The dive gear is usually priced below MSRP and they will meet ScubaPro's online prices. You can google them and even purchase the class via their website.

Jim Steele owns a shop called Steele's Discount in Oakland off Telegraph Ave.

He runs his shop more like a friendly neighbor than a store owner. The best part about him is that he wants to teach people how to dive and he wants to save divers money ;D.
My dad took his basic OW there.

My only complaint is that while he teaches NAUI and certifies you via the NAUI exam, he doesn't provide you with a NAUI book to buy. Yet you still get the info you need via him and various other books he has. It's a full NAUI basic course, sans the NAUI book.

Also if he doesn't feel like you're ready, or if you don't feel like you're ready, he won't take you out for your basic checkout. But you will be able to attend the next class's pool sessions and checkout dives free of charge until you do finally get certified.

I would second Don Chennavasin as well. I've been diving with him a few times and he is a lot of fun and a top diver. The UTD course is much more comprehensive than the PADI/NAUI equivalents as well and your instructor (Don) is a great guy and fun to dive with.

Thank you for the suggestions so far! I will email him the link to this thread so that he can follow. I have no experience with UTD, but reading about it makes me wish I had the chance to take my OW from an agency like that.

Having gone through PADI's OW certification, and hearing about the UTD courses, I would strongly suggest going with UTD. Their courses just seem so much better and will turn you into a better OW diver compared to PADI's OW.

One more recommendation is Bruce at Aquarius in Monterey. It's a bit far from the city, but probably worth the trip. See Aquarius Dive Shop - Your PADI 5-Star Scuba Dive Center in Monterey for Training, Equipment, Service, and Rentals
I've never taken a course there, but I did tag along with Bruce for one of his AOW classes. I was struck at how good he is at explaining stuff and he has a good personal connection. I think he hangs out on this board hiding as ZF2NT :)

If you want the best possible training available, my suggestions would be:

GUE Rec 1 - Contact: Beto Nava / Robert Lee
UTD Rec - Don Chennavasin

All are local, and all are top notch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom