Monterey Dive Boat Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carpoza

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I would like to take my newly certified daughter on her first boat dive in Monterey on a Sunday afternoon in January. The Monterey Express has only mornings scheduled. I noticed the Sanctuary goes out in the afternoons. Any recommendations?

All the charter boats out here are good, but I think the Sanctuary may be the only boat with afternoon dives, conditions are usually better in the morning.
Beach Hopper II, Monterey Express, Sanctuary and Silver Prince are your choices, I know the Double Down does charters too but I think they mostly do tech.

There's also the Escapade, I believe they occasionally do an afternoon run.

Hello All,

I would like to take my newly certified daughter on her first boat dive in Monterey on a Sunday afternoon in January. The Monterey Express has only mornings scheduled. I noticed the Sanctuary goes out in the afternoons. Any recommendations?

All the Monterey boats are good and close in cost. If I were to pick one, I would recommend the Express for novice divers. It is a big boat and has plenty of room for a new diver to maneuver without getting in the way of other divers.

Thanks guys! It looks like Sanctuary is the boat for us. They go out in the afternoons and take only six divers. I hope we get a good, calm afternoon. The drive from Chico is just too long to be able to make a morning trip. We will be shooting for the afternoon of Jan. 16. Wish us luck! :cool3:

I recommend the Beachhopper2. Beachhopper II

Thumbs up for them, you can call the owner and she'll put an afternoon charter, if a minimum of 4 or 5 people sign up, then the boat will be going for sure. So if you have you and your daughter, just hope 2 or 3 more people jump in and you'll have fun in Monterey.

For safety you can't beat the Escapade ....the Capt's are all extreamely experianced and the DM's rescure swimmers are great...the owner puts safety before money and and expects his crew to be professional and well trained..I know they often do afternoon dives...so if you have a group or want to fit in with a group the boat will be very helpful and honest for your needs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom