Maui Trip Report !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marisa-t

Registered
Reaction score
First I would like to thank everyone for there input on dive operators and location to dive at, from there that created a magical memory for me,FOREVER!!

This was my first trip to the pacific waters (dive wise), all I have ever done in the past was carribean waters.

Our first day we were there we did a little driving to find different beaches and let me add you have to have the Maui Revealed Book if this is your first time! Anyways, we decided to hang out on a beach and snorkel a bit then it decided to rain, but not the usual light rain you get it was more like a storm. We then headed out past Honolua Bay and carry down the county road to see some sites that Maui Revealed has listed, we managed to find the Blow Hole that is just awesome and then up the road a tad more to these little pools that the rocks formed that have tons of wrasses and gobys. Nothing to exciting dive wise that day but everything else was out of the norm for me in comparison of a day of living in Dallas,TX.

WE did Black Rock the next day tons of wrasses, angel fish, butterflys, scorpion fish, sea cucumbers, slugs, zebra eels, spotted Puffers, golden puffer, HumaHuma's, Tangs, Triggers, and let me add my boyfriend had a friend little humahuma chasing him the whole time trying to take of with one of his fins. The little guy had no chance but it was sure funny.

Thursday: This was our dive trip that we took with Ed Robinson's Dive and Adventure Tours. I will add it was a different adventure for me. We headed out to Molokini Crater that day and it was so windy, as the dive people were briefing us I couldn't even sit still on the boat it was moving so much cause of the swells and wind. Needless to say we jumped right on in and I got to see my first shark (man I had my doubts but like most of you guys say they could care less). We carried on out to the outer rim of the wall and headed onto the back wall. I saw a viper eel,zebra eel, two frog fish, butterflys, pychodellic wrasses, red corras wrasses, juvenile red corras wrasses,(which look a bit like little nemo) some parrot fish, and scorpion fish. I will add the coral life is tons different than my past dives I have had in the carribean but I enjoyed it. After the first dive we then went to a place that they ususaly don't go to cause of the winds in the summner time ( a usual winter spot I am assuming) called the Pennical: there I saw a moray eel, a starburst Starfish (purple) and they are quite big, a white mouth eel, and the usual other fished that i have mentioned allready. On the way up we did see dolphins swimming together which was cool to see. Now the adventure part: After surfacing to the top of the water we all had to inflate our BC and use tons of Leg power as it had turned out the Winds had changed and it was not looking like and easy enrty back on to the boat. They casted out the rope with buoy and had us all hold on ( me for dear life) and one by one we all had to attempt to make it on to the boat. Finally it was my turn to go and so I attempted to get my foot onto the ladder that was moving up and down about 10 feet every 7 or 8 secs. As I tried to grabb on and then BOOM I got slammed by the full thrust of that boat and ladder down onto my arm, I just know I had broken it! I had to hurry and try again though I wasn't going to look like a sissy! So I attempted again and this time the wind and waves worked in my favor, but needless to say after the 3mil came off my arm and elbow were a differnt story. No, it turned out is was not broke but I'll will say it's been three weeks since then and it's is still black and blue.

I guess I'll just list the other spots I made it to since that story was a little long.

Black Rock was one of my favorites as I myself play with a green sea turtle and wathced him eat and got the get a video of him on my underwater camera it's great to play this at home when I wish I could be there.

Kahekili- was also a great place to snorkel, tons of puffers, and snowflake eels, as well as angel fish, butterflys, wrasses, sea cucumbers, sea slugs, and some parrot fish.

Honolua Bay- this one is nice remember if you go there is no sand beach just rocks eveywhere to sit on. We had fun on this one except for the Jacks that wouldn't stop following us, ( I am assuming they are being fed a bit, but one of them even nibbled on me. OUCH! Also another time we were just moving along checking things out and this eel swam right up to us looking for dinner I assume, but he found his fish so we just watched. Also a good spot for , wrasses, humahuma's and more nooks a cranies to see the little kids hiding out. My boyfriend saw the first Hawksbill and played with the turle for a bit. Also got a great pic of a Christmas tree worm!

These were our favorite spots and we did each of them a couple of times, some places we tried that people had metioned as well, some a tad to rough to get into due to the winds on certain days.

The Trip was fabulous and we only had 1/2 a day of bad winds and rain from the Hurricane that was getting close to Hawaii. We stayed in Lahaina and enjoyed the night life and like to see the sunset set from the Lahaina Harbor at night. I know I have only given a tad of info on what this trip intaled but I am sure for the most part you got the Hint!

Aloha!

Marisa (yissak)

We too enjoyed Maui. We dove inside the crater and outside. Outside the crater was the best. Other than that I think Black Rock was the second best place and you could snorkel there ( alot cheaper than diving...and as good).
We enjoyed Lahina, Cheeseburgers in Paradise one evening...upstairs looking out over the ocean torwards the setting sun with some great music in the background :)

We also enjoyed St. Anthony's wreck with all the turtles on it.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

I went to Maui last October, and it was fabulous! Went to Molokini, twice, to the St Anthony and to the Red Hill. Have you guys seen the garden eels at the Reef's end? Quite a show...!

Gio

I do love Maui and we return every year for a few weeks. I'm glad you had such a good time. Sorry about the ladder. I'd say we've all been nailed somewhere along the line. It's a timing thing.

On the St. Anthony under the stern I saw the largest green sea turtle I have ever seen in my life. HUGE

Aren't those turtle spectacular? I saw one, bigger than a car hood. Ever since I was in Hawaii last year, I've been wanting to go back. You guys are making me so jealous and now I really can't get any work done. Who am I kidding, I'm on this site anyway.

My wife and I are going there this weekend for a week. This makes it the third trip in 12 months ( gotta be a record). I'll be going out with the BB Scuba boat a couple times and a bunch of beach dives mixed in.

Topic: Maui and Lanai Diving

I just wanted to take a moment to let tell everyone about this great dive operator called Trilogy on Maui. Last week my wife and me went on vacation to Maui. Whenever we go on vacation we always try not to use the same dive operators so we can always be assured to getting a diverse experience. We have been on vacation to many islands and I’ve never been treated to the experience we had on Maui. We tried 2 dive shops and 1 tour boat operator without a shop. The charter boat was called Trilogy and at first I have to admit I thought it would be the worst of the dive trips but boy was I way wrong.

The cost was a little more (about $10) but I was told that everything was included, no $5 for this and $7.50 for that. Also a warm breakfast and hot lunch was provided. The gear was all new and in good condition. And did I mention the boat? Every other operator I went out with I had to rest my back against my tank and have my dive bag rest under my legs (typical dive boat). Trilogy’s boat was a large 50-foot sailing catamaran, we actually were able to lie on the trampolines on the way out and catch a quick nap. We had both knowledgeable and very friendly divemasters. And the dive sites they took us to on Lanai had the most incredible underwater lava formations I ever seen; I have to admit the lava tubes were one of the most memorable dives I have ever done. If you are going to Maui do yourself a favor and dive with Trilogy, there web site is www.sailtrilogy.com

Back
Top Bottom