Maldives Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bartonw

New
Reaction score
Hey everybody-

I'm planning a trip to the Maldives and I have a couple questions for those of you who have been there. First off, I'm planning on either going in early November or early December. Would either month be better than the other? Also, right now I'm deciding between Kuredu (Lhaviyani atoll), Kuramathi (Rasdhoo atoll), and Sun Island (S. Ari atoll). Any insight/suggestions? I'm interested in sharks, big fish, a whale shark would be nice too. Thanks!

:crafty:

I've been lucky enough to dive in the Maldives on a few trips and have been to Kuredu three times. There are no whale sharks here ( though it's the sea, so there's always a chance I suppose) There are however, sharks and lots of good sized rays, tuna, jacks etc. And loads of turtles and morays. Some of the dives a top notch and some a pretty poor - it all depends on your experience and where the guides decide to take you on a particular day or what site is requested by the guest in the know. The best diving I had when I was there was on the full day trip they run to the Noono Atol- the three dives there where excellent! The Kuredu Express is also good but not all is hyped up to be. I've dived this site about a dozen times and never really had it running that fast.

Sun Island in the Ari is the place for Whale Sharks, though I'm not sure about what is the best time of year. Kuramathi is famed for it's early morning Hammerhead dive. Some of the best diving to be found is also in the Male Atol - don't rule out islands closer to male thinking the diving is not as good as further away from the capital. There really are some awesome dives in this atol.
I think which ever you chose you'll have a great time.

Have been to Maldives twice on liveaboard. Diving was pretty good but not awe-inspiring.
Everyone is talking the elusive whaleshark as well as the hammerhead but the sightings were more than likely "last week/month, other divers etc etc". Good luck.

Donsol in Philippines during the months of Feb and Mar can more or less guarantee whaleshark sighting. Several of them in one day is very common. But you can only snorkel with them so make sure you are FIT.

For sharks I would go to Kuramathi, normally you see whitetips and grey reefsharks and if you are lucky you will also see hammerheads. This is one of the few places in the Maldives where you have a good chance seeing them. Rasdoo Madivaru is in my opinion also one of the best dive sites of the Maldives (and hence the world). We have seen a whaleshark passing there once but they are not domestic like in the south of the Ari atol.

For whalesharks you have to go to the south of the Ari Atol (sun island) and if you dive there for a week you will see them. On the outer reef you can encounter nurse sharks, whitetips and stingrays and maybe an eagleray and some mobulas. But the reef is quite boring and if you see no whaleshark it is a bit of a ****ty dive. Also they have been working on the airport at Maamagili sucking up sand and spraying it on the runway which is in my opinion the reason why we did not see many whalesharks in March & April 2010.

I don't know what the current status of that airport is.

The North of the Lhaviyani Atol has some kandus and on a channel crossing you can encounter turtles, large groups of eaglerays and grey reefs and some whitetips on 1 dive. Also very nice.

Why not opt for a liveaboard instead of limiting yourself to 1 or 2 great sites and a lot of mediocre sites and go for a whaleshark and all the other stuff ? :wink:

Regards,
Bas

Back
Top Bottom