Carpe Vita - Maldives - Dec 30, 2023 - Jan 6, 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

Before heading to the Maldives, I appreciated using Scubaboard as a resource. There were some questions answered and some not, so I wanted to post my review of my week on the Carpe Vita.

Before heading there, I read that you should be a very experienced diver (100 dives) but this was after the trip was booked. I was assured by several divers who had been to the Maldives that my 32 dives wouldn't be an issue - and they were correct. Although I did struggle a bit with the reef hook & maintaining a good trim & bouyancy, I had a patient & wonderful dive guide who made sure I was safe & steady. At least for our trip, most currents were slight to moderate, so that helped. It also helped that I don't panic even when encountering issues - I learned early on... stay calm & carry on.

Our trip schedule was below:
Day 1 - North Male & Rasdhoo Atoll (3 dives)
Day 2 - Rasdhoo Atoll & North Ari (4 dives including night dive with Mantas)
Day 3 - North Ari & South Ari (3 dives)
Day 4 - South Ari (3 dives)
Day 5 - South Ari & Vaavu Atoll (3 dives)
Day 6 0 Vaavu Atoll & South Male (2 dives)

The Carpe Vita has 10 cabins & can have up to 20 guests. We had 14 - a couple from Colorado, US, a couple from Switzerland, a couple from England, a woman from Germany, a dive group of 5 from South Korea, myself & my friend. Everyone got along really, really well & the entire week was full of camaraderie & fun. For dives, we were broken in 3 groups - 4/5/5.

The staff was AMAZING - especially my dive guide Chakku. Given that I was the least experienced, he made sure to always keep an eye on me & lend a steady hand. However, he was clearly there for our entire group of 4 & we all respected & appreciated him. He's incredibly knowledgeable & made sure to point out interesting fish, anemone, sharks, etc., but also ensured everyone was near & safe.

The rooms were huge & comfortable - A/C worked very (too?) well. Always clean & serviced daily. Dining al fresco was lovely, and lots of room to lay out on the top deck. The boat is a little dated as it's a bit older - but not one person commented on it or seemed to mind.

Also a special thanks to Captain Adam who would check on me & shared a bit about himself. But as I said the entire staff was friendly & helpful - they couldn't do enough to ensure a memorable & special experience.

I won't go into the dives as I know they will vary from trip to trip - we experienced mantas, sharks & whale sharks up close & personal. Juvenile octopus - sometimes 2 at a time. Visibility would vary, as would the current. Unfortunately, some sites would be crowded, while others weren't.

I hope this is helpful for anyone out there who doesn't have 100 dives & is considering it... although I will say that if you are a nervous, less experienced diver, you may want to hold off.

Cannot recommend the Carpe Vita enough!!!!

I’m glad you had a great trip. I was on Carpe Novo the week before you and had some amazing diving too. There probably isn’t a specific number of dives but experience in currents and being a confident diver is important for the Maldives. We had one channel hook in dive at 30 meters where the current was super strong. Felt like your mask/reg could come off if you turned your head. We had another dive with a strong unpredictable current but the rest were easy.

Thanks for this trip report! My wife and I will be on the Carpe Vita this April, so it's great to see your positive comments about the staff and boat. I'm hoping we get a good group like you had - makes a huge difference in the trip.

I’m glad you had a great trip. I was on Carpe Novo the week before you and had some amazing diving too. There probably isn’t a specific number of dives but experience in currents and being a confident diver is important for the Maldives. We had one channel hook in dive at 30 meters where the current was super strong. Felt like your mask/reg could come off if you turned your head. We had another dive with a strong unpredictable current but the rest were easy.
Sounds like I was lucky - not sure how I would have done with really super strong currents given I had no prior current experience...

Thanks for this trip report! My wife and I will be on the Carpe Vita this April, so it's great to see your positive comments about the staff and boat. I'm hoping we get a good group like you had - makes a huge difference in the trip.

Enjoy - I've found that other divers seem to usually be of like mind. Enjoy!

Hi All,

Before heading to the Maldives, I appreciated using Scubaboard as a resource. There were some questions answered and some not, so I wanted to post my review of my week on the Carpe Vita.

Before heading there, I read that you should be a very experienced diver (100 dives) but this was after the trip was booked. I was assured by several divers who had been to the Maldives that my 32 dives wouldn't be an issue - and they were correct. Although I did struggle a bit with the reef hook & maintaining a good trim & bouyancy, I had a patient & wonderful dive guide who made sure I was safe & steady. At least for our trip, most currents were slight to moderate, so that helped. It also helped that I don't panic even when encountering issues - I learned early on... stay calm & carry on.

Our trip schedule was below:
Day 1 - North Male & Rasdhoo Atoll (3 dives)
Day 2 - Rasdhoo Atoll & North Ari (4 dives including night dive with Mantas)
Day 3 - North Ari & South Ari (3 dives)
Day 4 - South Ari (3 dives)
Day 5 - South Ari & Vaavu Atoll (3 dives)
Day 6 0 Vaavu Atoll & South Male (2 dives)

The Carpe Vita has 10 cabins & can have up to 20 guests. We had 14 - a couple from Colorado, US, a couple from Switzerland, a couple from England, a woman from Germany, a dive group of 5 from South Korea, myself & my friend. Everyone got along really, really well & the entire week was full of camaraderie & fun. For dives, we were broken in 3 groups - 4/5/5.

The staff was AMAZING - especially my dive guide Chakku. Given that I was the least experienced, he made sure to always keep an eye on me & lend a steady hand. However, he was clearly there for our entire group of 4 & we all respected & appreciated him. He's incredibly knowledgeable & made sure to point out interesting fish, anemone, sharks, etc., but also ensured everyone was near & safe.

The rooms were huge & comfortable - A/C worked very (too?) well. Always clean & serviced daily. Dining al fresco was lovely, and lots of room to lay out on the top deck. The boat is a little dated as it's a bit older - but not one person commented on it or seemed to mind.

Also a special thanks to Captain Adam who would check on me & shared a bit about himself. But as I said the entire staff was friendly & helpful - they couldn't do enough to ensure a memorable & special experience.

I won't go into the dives as I know they will vary from trip to trip - we experienced mantas, sharks & whale sharks up close & personal. Juvenile octopus - sometimes 2 at a time. Visibility would vary, as would the current. Unfortunately, some sites would be crowded, while others weren't.

I hope this is helpful for anyone out there who doesn't have 100 dives & is considering it... although I will say that if you are a nervous, less experienced diver, you may want to hold off.

What a small world! Chalkku was also my dive guide when I was in Carpe Vita back in March 2021, going into the Deep South. You may want to consider that route for your next return trip to Maldives.

During one of Kandu diving, the current was so strong and snap my coiled wire reef hook. Luckily Chakku was behind me. I got blown away by the current and ran into him. He’s able to get a hold of my BCD. I then got a good hold on a crevice with my left hand and finished filming the shark parade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom