Clarks Hill/Lake thurmond, Augusta, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Four of us dove the lake today (E. Dam). vis is great @ 15' or so. Temps are cold - in fact I cannot recall where the water temp has been this low so early in the year. These are late Feb. temps. We had 43 degrees at 99' and 45 at the surface. We spent most of the dive deep today so the bottom time was short (wetsuits compress at depth and it gets chilly:D -actually even though I had 7mm gloves it was the fingers that were cold first, then toes, the body core was fine). Actually we saw a lot of small fish today - 3-4" and smaller (bluegills, sunfish, etc). Most were seen at depths below 70'. They were laying on the bottom and would move off when approached and settle right back to the bottom like they were negatively bouyant. We have seen this before, usually when the O2 content of the water was low. Anyway, a good but chilly dive. We are diving the river tomorrow. It should be a bit warmer and due tot the shallow depths, there will be less wetsuit compression.

Awesome report. Interesting about the fish behavior, temps in the 40's is pretty cold. We are getting geared up for jetty fest here in the gulf at pcb. Tempuratures here are usually in the 50's to 60's and I've definitely invested on some winter diving gear. :blinking:

Awesome report. Interesting about the fish behavior, temps in the 40's is pretty cold. We are getting geared up for jetty fest here in the gulf at pcb. Tempuratures here are usually in the 50's to 60's and I've definitely invested on some winter diving gear. :blinking:

Oh yes, when the temps drop you definitely have to dress for the occasion.:D Your Jetty fest sounds like fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom