Why do we Dive????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTT

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a simple question..but.. Why do you dive? Of course it is fun...But what is it about this sport that makes you passonate about diving? Is it exploration of the unkonwn? Viewing aquatic life? Maybe it is pushing yourself to the edge for you tech guys out there. Whatever it is lets hear it!

Cheers

Tommy:)

Yes I would have to say that diving is probally a bit better then playing on the freeway....but seriously guys, lets here why you dive? What makes you keep going back?

peace

TTT once bubbled...
This may be a simple question..but.. Why do you dive? Of course it is fun...But what is it about this sport that makes you passonate about diving? Is it exploration of the unkonwn? Viewing aquatic life? Maybe it is pushing yourself to the edge for you tech guys out there. Whatever it is lets hear it!

Cheers

Because gravity sucks.

Because narcosis is legal.

One of our members mentioned that diving was as near to flying as he could get. I would have to add that, even though I do fly, diving is more like flying without the aircraft. I love that zero "g" feeling.

I also love water, in general, but clear, warm, salt-water decorated with beautiful reefs and colorful fish is just about like being in heaven.

I enjoy, as well, the chance to meet strange and interesting underwater creatures......some of whom are not other divers!:D

Last Sunday, diving the Prins Willem (Wille) off the Len-Der dive boat. Temp. 85 deg. Bright sunshine. Great day to be alive. Suited up and ready to go in, just starting to get hot in my wetsuit. Hitting the water and that first initail shock of cold water and just going ahhhhhh.. Waited for Jul64, my buddy to come in. She hits water everything is OK so we do a descent. Nice and easy for the first 20ft. then go into freefall position just floating down on the wreck with 50-60 ft vis. To a non-diver that is just impossible to describe the feeling that you get when that happens. Yes the dive ended up with her reg. free-flowing and we had to do an OOA ascent, but, we did it by the numbers and no harm no foul. I have tried to explain to non divers why,and they do not get it, but our little industry can relate to what I just wrote.

For me, it's a combination of reasons. Most definitely the freedom of being in the water - the zero gravity feeling described above. But, it's also a type of escape for me. Being under water is peaceful. It takes me to a totally different world than when above water.

Wreck diving is another reason I dive. When I started diving several years ago I didn't know much about ships - wooden or steel. The engineer in me soon surfaced and I was hooked.

Looking at how things were done years ago. Trying to piece a wreck together that's not so intact any more. Looking at the craftsmanship. The time and love that went in to building the schooners of long ago. Trying to figure out just exactly what that was that I saw down there. & what was it used for. & oh, how interesting the engines, walking beams and paddlewheels can be.

But along with that is the history of the ships and how they sunk. The life stories of each ship. The actions leading up to her last minutes above water. The people aboard her. And sometimes even the cargo. I find myself diving a ship only wanting to learn more of her history. But also reading about a book and longing to dive her some day soon.

I plan to dive for years to come.

Paula :)

It Beats Space Walk... I still cant afford it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom