Seen a Pacific Lumpsucker in No CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw some lumpsuckers at the Aquarium of the Bay and could barely tear myself away from the exhibit. I would love to see them in "real life." Have you seen them?

Sorry I can't get a photo to upload. If you don't know what a lumpsucker is, you might want to google them. They are very interesting.

Ha, they're cute!

Nope, can't say I've seen them in my limited experience diving these waters. But I'd love to see one!

Wikipedia says that they're generally found on the bottom at 100-1,700 meters. So I guess I won't be seeing much of these critters anytime soon...

I saw some lumpsuckers at the Aquarium of the Bay and could barely tear myself away from the exhibit. I would love to see them in "real life." Have you seen them?

Sorry I can't get a photo to upload. If you don't know what a lumpsucker is, you might want to google them. They are very interesting.

I don't know where they are usually seen in N. Cal. but in the Seattle area they are found shallow usually among the eel grass. They are hard to spot however.

I've seen some in Seattle in the shallow eel grass and they are absolutely adorable! But have never seen any in Cali.

The lady at the aquarium told me they are definitely in No CA waters in the shallows attached to rocks. They are really small (less than 2 inches), so it would be nice to know where they have been spotted before you spend all your dive time hovering with your nose really close to rocks.

Some of my best dives have been hovering with my nose really close to rocks!

Back
Top Bottom