I Got Bored Today So I made a new Back Plate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrunkenParrot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
*....:D We were slow in the shop this morning and I had a wild hair... I needed a new plate for some Spring Diving so I fired up the computer and our ESPRIT program and Designed a plate....
IMAG0541.jpg

*Then I had to NC code my drawing for the machine.... and 2454 lines of code later.......
IMAG0542.jpg

*Now off to the Flow Water Jet to do the hard work....I tested my program and away we go......
IMAG0539.jpg

IMAG0538.jpg

A short video of the Flow punching some holes.

*Now de-bur my plate and a little filing since the water jet leaves a grain like finish from the abrasive....

IMAG0540.jpg

*Since we do not have a break large enough in our shop I had to drop it off at my friends shop who has a metal break large enough to do the bends............And he didn't get to it in time today....:( Oh well I will have pics tomorrow of the finish plate....Just thought I would share my slow unproductive day....

Thats pretty cool. Did you use aluminum? You could probably make some money off of that if you wanted.

Thats pretty cool. Did you use aluminum? You could probably make some money off of that if you wanted.

Yes I used Aluminum. Maybe one day I might sell them, I need a larger metal break.

Sick.
Boredom is the best reason to do anything in my opinion, followed by "because I can".
I would also love a copy of the .dxf I do not have access to a fancy cnc but I have to tools available to do it manually. Plus I am thinking of custom fitting one to my back via Inventor and have no base.

Just email me your address and I will send the dxf file to you.

**Just an update, still waiting on the break to free up so I took the plate over to the laser. I designed a little logo with my last name on it. I love using the laser!
IMAG0546.jpg

*During the etching process...you have to apply a paint like material to etch the bare aluminum. Looks like primer but a whole lot more $$$...
IMAG0544.jpg

*Close up after shot...
IMAG0547.jpg

*One more for good measure....
IMAG0548.jpg

*Once it gets bent I will have finished pics...

Cool engraving. Will the bending or polishing mess it up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom