Small Nauticam D90 Housing Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoralKisser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well I finally picked up a Nauticam for my Nikon D90. I have been playing around with it and my camera and have noticed that 2 of the controls dont activate their respective buttons. The two having trouble are the delete button and the live view button. I can see the live view control making contact with the button on the camera but it doesn't depress it enough to activate it. I can't see the delete button but I'm assuming its having the same problem, just not depressing the button on the camera enough.

I've also noticed that the housing controls that activate the spinner dials on the camera slip at times. These include the 'Mode' control, the front and rear camera spinner controls.

Is this normal? Anyone also experience these small problems?

Have you taken the housing for a dive yet? Sometimes you have contact problems before you have taken it on its first dive and after the first dive have no problems. Recommend you take the housing for dive without the camera inside and strap a 3lbs weight to it.

Regards Mark

Have you taken the housing for a dive yet? Sometimes you have contact problems before you have taken it on its first dive and after the first dive have no problems. Recommend you take the housing for dive without the camera inside and strap a 3lbs weight to it.

Regards Mark

No, just got my hands on it yesterday. I was wondering if it was something like this going on. First real dive will be in Grand Cayman in 3 weeks. I think I will take it to the local Olympic sized swimming pool (16 feet deep) and see what happens.

Question....why add a 3 lb weight? Just to keep it down?

I had the same issues with alot of brand new camera housings. You put it together at home and practice and play with all the buttons to get the feel for it. Then you find out that some of the buttons arnt working........!!! You then take it for a dive and all of the sudden they work.....

I tested my housing without the camera and used the 8 inch dome. I needed the 3lbs weight to keep it down other wise its floaty.

16 foot is good to start and kept it there for over 10 minutes. Make sure to press and use every button to double check.

I would recommend that you do the same again on one of your first dives in Grand Cayman. Take the housing for a dive without the camera and take it down to the depth which you normally dive. Play with all the buttons again.

Regards Mark

That does not sound right, and won't be solved by a test dive.

Is the camera tray completely tight?

Is anything on the back of the camera causing the housing back to push the camera forward on installation? IE Rubber Eye Cup, LCD Screen Protector, Strap Eyelet?

Almost all of the controls on my D300s Nauticam housing are adjustable with the hex key set that came with the housing.

Last week while diving on Little Cayman Island I had trouble with the ON-OFF switch not working properly. I just loosened the ON-OFF control rod's hex bolt, re-adjusted the control rod, and tightened the hex bolt.

It worked perfectly after that.

That does not sound right, and won't be solved by a test dive.

Is the camera tray completely tight?

Is anything on the back of the camera causing the housing back to push the camera forward on installation? IE Rubber Eye Cup, LCD Screen Protector, Strap Eyelet?

BINGO!!!! I had the little rubber eye piece and screen protector on the camera when I first tried it. Took them both off last night and everything works perfectly. I think the culprit was the eye piece but Ill leave them both off just in case.
Nothing about it in the instruction book.

Just returned from Grand Cayman last Sat night. LOVED the housing and it was flawless.

Here is a shot of a brittle star on a sponge I took while on a dive:

220746_2049622164595_1365695330_2454457_741535_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom