TransPlate vs. TransPac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavemanScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently dive a Zeagle Ranger but I want to streamline my set-up. I am looking at either the TransPlate or the TransPac. Being from Michigan I dive mostly colder waters and I dive singles right now. I don't know if and when I will be getting into doubles. What are the pros and cons of each? I am really impressed with Dive Rite products so I really want to go with one of these and eliminate some of the clutter.

Hi Caveman,

I think you'll get good feedback from other Michigan divers, but here is a thought to consider. The TransPlate and TransPac will give you the same type of fit/support, however the TransPlate allows you to add a steel backplate, which many cold water divers like for the extra weight. You can remove some of the weight from your pockets as a steel plate is about 6lbs.

When you switch to twin tanks, you can switch out to an aluminum backplate easily if you are going to dive steel tanks (too much steel gets too heavy).

Just a thought

Thanks for asking,
Kathleen

Go with the Transplate and steel backplate.

I started out with the Transpac and then went with the Transplate and SS plate. Currently the Transpac functions as my travel rig and the Transplate is set up for cold water diving.

I currently have the Transpac and it is perfect for traveling as it is light weight. I tried using the Transpack for double steel tanks and it just is not suited for that application due to the steel tanks not connected to a solid steel/ss/aluminum surface. I did use the DR steel mounting plates but this just made sure the bolts did not pull through the soft webbing material.

So… traveling Transpack…diving where you want to feel more connected to the tanks or doubles go with a plate.

So Kathleen, it seems you are recommending the TransPlate. Do you receommend use of the backplate pad?

Hi Caveman,

I think you'll get good feedback from other Michigan divers, but here is a thought to consider. The TransPlate and TransPac will give you the same type of fit/support, however the TransPlate allows you to add a steel backplate, which many cold water divers like for the extra weight. You can remove some of the weight from your pockets as a steel plate is about 6lbs.

When you switch to twin tanks, you can switch out to an aluminum backplate easily if you are going to dive steel tanks (too much steel gets too heavy).

Just a thought

Thanks for asking,
Kathleen

I have/had no problems with doubles on either my transpac or my nomad... I still prefer it to a hard plate.

If you're diving in MI though, with thick wetsuits you shouldn't need a backpad. Only time I'd recommend one is if you're diving with no exposure protection, but that clearly won't be the case where you are...

If you are looking for something thats lightweight for travel, the transpac is the way to go. I've used mine from VA to FL and my husband has used his in st lucia and been satisfied with it.

Why not a simple plate and HOG harness? Simple, reliable, and cheap. I use a Dive Rite plate for doubles.

Maybe because the OP likes adjustable harnesses.:idk:
You know darn well they are adjustable. Always stirring the pot aren't you.

Halcyon's Infinity system, which I do believe fnfalman owns, is automatically adjustable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom