Express tech or HOG for warm and cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmcfarla

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I am about to buy my first bcd and have narrowed down my choice to the zeagle express tech or a hog 32 bp/w set-up and am looking for help deciding between the two. In the past I've rented vest style bcds and don't much like them. I will be doing single-tank, open water recreational diving only for the foreseeable future (no interest in wrecks and want a LOT more experience before even thinking about caves). I can't try either of these on locally.

I currently live in Hawaii but will be moving to Seattle in about 6 months, and I want something that will work in both places. I currently use a 3mm shortie but will likely invest in a the cheapest, ugliest, most beat-up drysuit I can find upon moving to Seattle. I probably won't be doing much in the way of traveling with gear, maybe once in a while, my attraction to the travel harness is that it is inexpensive and basic, as opposed to it being travel-friendly.

Will the zeagle provide enough lift (only 24 pounds of lift) for cold water diving? I am pretty lean: 5'11'' and 145 pounds. I understand that I can always buy an additional wing, but that effectively doubles the price so I'd like to stick with only one wing. If I go with the hog 32 with backplate, will a steel or aluminum backplate be better suited for moving between warm and cold water? My understanding is that the steel provides better stability but I worry that the additional 4 pounds of weight may be too much for warm water diving. I have read enough to know that both of these are well liked, but if anyone has experience with both I would certainly appreciate feedback on the advantages of each.

Thank you!

I got a Express Tech recently and it came with the 34lb wing instead of the 29lb wing. I think that is what they are shipping them with standard now.

You can order the Express Tech with almost any size bladder that Zeagle makes.

30 or 35# should be plenty for cold water diving and be acceptable for warm water diving.

When the ET is ordered with a bigger bladder the cost only goes up minimally as you are not buying a whole new bladder just changing one size for another. Zeagle has been experiencing some supply problems lately but supposedly are being solved

The ET is as customizable as a BPW and arguably weighs less and packs better.

I have an Express Tech and love it for wetsuit diving. I would not however use it when diving dry. It has no inherent buoyancy but at the same time no inherent weight to speak of. If you plan on diving dry I'd go with a BPW just to get that extra 6lbs off your belt or whatever system you choose. The steel plate is your friend:D. The Express Tech can be set up with weight pouches on the cam band to mimic a BPW as far as weighting goes and it works but I still prefer the BPW for stablility with heavy steel tanks like single LP95's when diving dry. The Express Tech will save you some money over a BPW but not that much. And if you should decide to go to doubles at some point you'll be that far ahead with the plate. PM to see what a HOG set up can run you.

I dive a bp/w here in hawaii (oahu) and have been for the past 4 years. It's a hammerhead steel plate with a two piece steel single tank adapter. I have a 30# oxycheq wing on it. I love this setup and would recommend it to anybody. Any bp/w allows a lot of freedom and modification later on down the road. bp/w really is a perfect fit for me. That being said, the zeagle will offer customer support and no setup/piece together time. Both are good choices. GL

-Mike

I currently live in Hawaii but will be moving to Seattle in about 6 months, and I want something that will work in both places. I currently use a 3mm shortie but will likely invest in a the cheapest, ugliest, most beat-up drysuit I can find upon moving to Seattle.!

When you get here, look me up. I can help show you how pretty green, cold water can be!!

Back
Top Bottom