In town (Melbourne) looking for weekend dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

warscout2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm In Melbourne till the 20th and i would love to get some dives in this weekend 5/14 - 5/15. I don't have anyone that I know locally that dives. I would also be up for a night dive during the week.

If anyone has any ideas I'm open. I flew in with my BCD, mask, fins, and regs I would hate for it to have been a waste.

Hey there. I noticed no one has answered your post so I will tell you what I know. We live in Melbourne and I am sorry to say that there is no diving here locally. Closest is Jupiter or West Palm. I am relatively new to diving (35 dives) and have only been to West Palm. That is where we did out OW and AOW certs. It's drift diving. Visibility varies. It was about 40' last weekend. There are several good dive boats there. We went with Walker. There's also Narcosis and Abernathy. From what I've heard all are good. And I think they all dive the same reefs. Many people dive the Blue Heron Bridge in West Palm. You actually pass under it if you go with any of the above mentioned dive shops. It is a shore dive. I have not done this one but it is on my list. If you have the time a drive to Key Largo (about 4 hours from Melbourne) would not be a waste. Check out some of the posts on this board for places to dive there. Personally I like Molasses Reef.

Hey, the diving off Cape Canaveral and Melbourne is iffy...it can be very cold (50s) even in the summer months and it's rare to have a 'great viz day!' The low viz is mainly due to the gulf stream remaining way offshore unlike what you will experience in Jupiter and south of there. The West Palm Beach area offers great dive spots: wrecks and reefs. If you really want to dive and not have a far drive, try Jupiter Dive Center or Little Deeper Charters, (561-436-5299, David & Lynn Brown). Personally, I like Little Deeper Charter out of Lake Park Marina, great folks and a really nice boat...Lynn offers a really nice croissant sandwich if it is a 3-tank dive. If you use them, tell them that Pam Dodd sent you. I have friends who recently dove with Jupiter Dive Center, they had a really good experience. I may dive this Saturday with Little Deeper...I just haven't made definite plans as of today. I hope this information helps.

The closest shore dive may be Vero Beach--contact Deep6 Dive in Vero for local info. Next closest is north of Ft Pierce at Pepper Park which can be a VERY nice shore dive on a flat day with several flat days before that. Perhaps the best shore dive in the state is at the Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach just north of West Palm. Force E had a dive shop down the street for a tank and advice. Dive only at high slack tide. Sat hi daytime is 6:44pm, and Sunday the 15th is 6:55 am and 7:40pm. One of those rare days one could catch the hi tide twice in daylight......................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom