Source for lionfish meat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDAnderson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay, I’m willing to do my bit to help with the lionfish infestation problem – by eating some of the dang thangs. Unfortunately or not, there aren't any of them in Lake Michigan so I'm not able to catch my own. Does anybody know of a source for lionfish meat? Caught, killed, cleaned, dressed, frozen and ready to ship? I’ve asked a couple of our local fishmongers and they roll their eyes and tell me there’s no commercial market yet so I thought I’d see if I can go directly to the source.

I'm thinking of a summer gathering for a few dozen divers, so cost is an issue. If you know of a commercial source, great. Otherwise, I'm willing to entertain the notion of helping you and your friends dispose of any surplus. :D

Post in the thread or PM me, if you can help.

Save the reefs, one meal at a time.

Hello Reefraf,
I went to a presentation about the lionfish at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute in Ft. Pierce, FL last May 2011 (I think that was roughly the date) while visiting family in Vero Beach, FL.

I was very informative. I never knew about the problem until then. They did a great job of presenting the research and information. They even had samples of lionfish to eat afterwards. It tasted very good.

I live in Santa Rosa, CA. The lionfish is not a problem here. Nonetheless, I'm a member of a Toastmasters "speaking skills development" club and I gave a presentation about the lionfish, using what I learned in Florida. The audience enjoyed learning about it. I enjoy telling other folks about issues even if they are non-local.

All this got me thinking about the problem, and that if more people would buy and eat lionfish, the problem could be reduced or eliminated by the market demand.

Did you ever find a source of, as you put it: caught, killed, cleaned, dressed, frozen and ready to ship lionfish? I would like to buy some to give as a sample to my audience at another Toastmasters presentation. Part of the presentation will be how they can buy some lionfish meat of their own.

Thanks,
sr_scuba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom