Four Dives/One Day.. too many?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khawaga

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've done two dives/day at the Breakwater and felt pretty good afterward, especially after getting some good food in me. If not for the long drive home, I'm thinking I could do another two dives, maybe two in the early morning (making sure I get a good parking space) and then two in the afternoon. I know this makes for a long day, but if I don't then have to drive home, it could be worth it. Curious to hear from those who have done a lot of dives in the same day. Worth it? Or just too much?

It really depends on the profiles and the conditions. It's doable, but I've gotten to the stage that I prefer to do one or two really long dives and call it a day instead of a bunch of shorter ones.

In Egypt on a liveaboard we were doing 4 dives a day. As long as you observe the proper surface intervals and don't get too near the NDL, it should be fine, however prepare to sleep well afterwards!

I've done four a day in Monterey. It's tiring, but a great way to get maximum value for your travel dollars and time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring an enthusiastic buddy to get through the day. You're going to need a lot of willpower when you finally hit the rinse bucket. :wink:
Just be sure to observe the correct surface intervals and NDL's for your repetitive dives and I'm sure you'll have fun.

If you're diving wet you should bring a big thermos of weak tea and some gallon milk jugs filled with hot water and wrapped in a towel (to keep it hot). Also bring a rain coat or parka to wrap yourself with during the SI.

We do it all the time here in Guam. It's a long day, certainly, but we don't have to worry about driving far!
Works best with shore diving, IMO - for some reason, boat diving wears me out - even though we're done with our 2 dives before noon, I just wanna go nap!

Take a nice lunch break after your morning dives - then see how you feel.
If you're wiped out (or your ears bug you or whatever) after Dive 3, you don't have to do the 4th....

In Egypt on a liveaboard we were doing 4 dives a day. As long as you observe the proper surface intervals and don't get too near the NDL, it should be fine, however prepare to sleep well afterwards!

We do it all the time here in Guam. It's a long day, certainly, but we don't have to worry about driving far!
Works best with shore diving, IMO - for some reason, boat diving wears me out - even though we're done with our 2 dives before noon, I just wanna go nap!

Take a nice lunch break after your morning dives - then see how you feel.
If you're wiped out (or your ears bug you or whatever) after Dive 3, you don't have to do the 4th....

Diving in warm water is not the same as diving in cold water. In Roatan I did 4 or 5 dives a day no problem. Here two dive in a day is more than enough. Only time I'd do a third is a night dive. Of course I mean real dives in the 45+ minute range, not training dives that are 30- minutes.

Interesting. I think I've gotten spoiled with boat diving. No surface swim (or very little), no shore entry or exit, and no long walk back to the car because you didn't get a good parking space. Shore diving seems to wear me out a bit more. Or maybe it's just the 2-hour drive back home that wears me out...

Not uncommon on liveaboards to do 5 in a day. I have heard say of those who have pulled 30 dives in a 6 day diving week, although I find myself pretty shattered after more than a few days of four a days.

It's not uncommon to see a new diver recently certified at Break Water, attempting to complete 4 dives. I was one that loved diving at the BW with my original budy in this range.

But like many have mentioned it's based on conditions and smaller profiles making dives only 20 or 30 mins on dives 3 or 4.

Today, I concur with other divers that 2 long dives or just one dive will be all that is needed to feel complete.

Remember never to push yourself beyond your comfort zone; the ocean and all its wonders will be there again when you come back on another rested day. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom