Need BCD Recomendation for short round person on a budget :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darianis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a very new diver and I just finished my open water cert. YAY ME! But I'm having some trouble with gear. I don't have much gear yet, just a mask fins and snorkel and a wetsuit :)

The real problem is that the dive shop I use doesn't only has 1-2 BC's that fit me and they aren't always free to rent. so I wanted to get one so I don't have to go home or wear equipment that doesn't fit right. I'm new so I don't want to have to worry about gear along with everything else I have to think about while diving :)

I'm 5'6" I wear size 38/40 paints and 2x shirts. I don't have a lot of spare cash(who does these days :) so I would like to keep it in the 250-350 range.

Thanks for any info :)

With your size/build, you are really going to want a SS BP&W!! It is going to fit you the best, be the most comfortable and displace the weight better. The only problem is your budget. Sometimes it's better to spend a little more in the beginning then have to re-spend money (get in the right gear the first time) down the road.

Zeagle use a modular design approach for their BCD systems, making it easy to mix-n-match different size parts to suit your needs. This also make them a breeze to repair. Great service too. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Last edited:
The Zeagle stuff, although very nice, will exceed your budget pretty quickly... It is modular though, so, it is pretty easy to find something that fits you.

I don't always recommend going straight to a backplate/wing combo, but, it may be the easiest to keep you comfortable in...

First off, what BCD have you been using that fits well? Have you looked into purchasing one of those? (new or used) Sometimes its better to use what we know and are comfortable in.

If you don't really like the BC's you have been using, but they fit well, then what is it that you do or don't like about them?

Couple examples you could do:

Hollis HTS 1 Harness and Hollis Wing Package discounts on sale Hollis $359 on special, includes wing and a comfortable, padded harness (which may ease the transition to a plate/wing from a conventional BCD) plus, its an awesome deal on it too

BackPlate and Wing Package discounts on sale Dive Rite $375 as a package, includes just about everything, but is more of a hard core plate/wing and there isn't any padding...

Both of these are going to be very adjustable and should fit much better than most conventional BCD's....

I was using a scubapro BC not sure of the model it was just one that the dive shop had on hand. it was XXL and all the BC I have seen on line only went to XL. would that still work for me?

Buy the right one and only buy one once.
I think you are under budgeted for this part of your kit if you intend to stay a diver long term.

Most BC's in the XL or 2Xl sizes are going to be very long in the shoulder straps for a big girth short diver, and not fit properly.
You will probably feel the tank move around on your back and the chest buckle that should be on your peck will be well down on your ribs or at the cumberbun, and the neck width won't be right.
You might want a modular BC that allows a shorter shoulder strap swap out so you can keep the integrated weights properly placed on your hips.
A Stiletto or Ranger in size XL with size M shoulder panels might fit better, dive better, be more comfortable and add to the confidence factor that all new divers need to build.
You will need to buy a new unit to get the custom sizing correct but you also could buy a used one and then swap out the shoulders to get the correct fit. You can purchase any of the BC components seperately.

Buy the right one and only buy one once.
I think you are under budgeted for this part of your kit if you intend to stay a diver long term.

Most BC's in the XL or 2Xl sizes are going to be very long in the shoulder straps for a big girth short diver, and not fit properly.
You will probably feel the tank move around on your back and the chest buckle that should be on your peck will be well down on your ribs or at the cumberbun, and the neck width won't be right.
You might want a modular BC that allows a shorter shoulder strap swap out so you can keep the integrated weights properly placed on your hips.
A Stiletto or Ranger in size XL with size M shoulder panels might fit better, dive better, be more comfortable and add to the confidence factor that all new divers need to build.
You will need to buy a new unit to get the custom sizing correct but you also could buy a used one and then swap out the shoulders to get the correct fit. You can purchase any of the BC components seperately.

so what do you think is a realistic budget for a BC for me?

Zeagle makes some nice stuff for this type of trouble. I'm 5 9 and 240. I got a large jacket and medium shoulders. My buddy who is 6 1 and 240 got a large jacket and large shoulders. They have adjustable cumber buns to help with fit and with the shoulders being able to be made as long or short from the waist as you need it won't matter much on your height vs roundness. If you call scuba toys they can take your measurements and then get you the correct fit. So in like your case you might get a L or XL jacket and small shoulders and have a great fitting BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom