Lost my log book!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goin' Deep

Reaction score
Should I just start a new one? I looked all over including the last dive site I was at and it is nowhere to be found. I have only been certified since July so I didn't have many entries but I did have all my basic training dives logged.
I guess I'll have to buy a new one but is there any information a novice diver like me should put in along with getting signed? I plan on doing some diving this weekend which is how I discovered my book is missing.

I lost log books with about 750 dives in a fire several years ago.

For now I suggest you reconstruct the record as best you can from memory and go on. Also keep your eyes open and let people arround you know you are looking for the original book, you might still get it back.

Look in odd places too, like under the seats in the car, in bags and boxes unrelated to diving, etc. Sometime things get misplaced and turn up in very strange places.

What I record in my log has changed over time. Now I'm recording: date, location, site, psi used, tank size, conditions, buddy, activity, nitrox %. I also record anything else that makes the dive particularly notable (good or bad)

When I first started, I also recorded details about weight used and my exposure suit so I could keep track of what I need to wear at the site to be comfortable.

I keep the basics in the log book I take with me on a sheet I created in MS Word, then record that information, along with a few more details on my pc when I get home.

Hope that helps.

Sunnto Dive manager (a freebie) is something you can take a look at for other ideas.

you`ll have to start a new log-book, just for the record perhaps you could ask your instructor to sign (again) the training dives you did.
your training dives should be in your log.

by the way...i`ve lost mine a couple of times but endend up finding it...in my bag or car or any other place...

better loose it now than with a 1000 dives!!!

keep looking and keep diving to fill the new one!

cheers!

rusky

Does the lost log have your contact info in it?

I wouldn't necessarily put my address in such a log that I carried around, but your name and phone number might be good to have in it...in case it is ever found.

My preference is a computer log...Can back it up on CD, and I never lose it.

Good luck!

Sean

Thanks for making me take the time to copy my log book! At least now I have a back-up and its all because of your post!

scubasean once bubbled...
Does the lost log have your contact info in it?

My preference is a computer log...Can back it up on CD, and I never lose it.

Good luck!

Sean

Unfortunately the book was so new I doubt I even put my name in it. The only logged dives I had were with my instructor during OW certification.

Quick question, how do you keep a log book on PC? I like that idea and being a computer geek I would probably enjoy that route. But how do you get your dive buddy to sign the dive if you're keeping it on the PC? Or am I showing my newbie-ness by even asking about dive buddies signing your log book?

Goin' Deep,

I use MS Access to store my dive logs. It’s fairly easy to set up, and you can alter it as needed. This is good because you add and delete fields as you need them. You can also print out hardcopies under the Report section of the program. You can also use MS Word or Excel, but I find Access more versatile.

If you have a computer, check with the manufacturer to see if they have software that you can down load your computer into.

There are several options for you to use. I know you position as I have lost several dive logs. I wouldn't be suprised if this won't be your last. I now keep a hard copy, one on the PC, and a backup of the PC.

Bill
:)

I still like having my buddies sign my log -- particularly if it's the first time diving together. So I use a very simple paper log which I have my buddy sign, and an electronic to keep all the details...

As for the electronic version. You can use practially any software to do it in. From databases (like MS Access), to spreadsheets (like Excel) or word processors (like Word)... or even some dive specific ones like the Dive Manager which is free.

which just lists trip dates and destinations, a very few highlights, and signficant gear changes.

The ultra-short summary also works as an index to my multiple logbooks -- I can look at the summary, figure out which logbook a particular dive is in, and then go find the details on a dive operator or a particular dive site.

YMMV, but unless you need proof of logged dives for something specific, such as a DM course, what and how you log dives is your choice. I treat mine more as a personal journal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom