Weights in BC pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey SB, just have a question regarding the usage of weights in my BC pockets.
I have a non weight integrated BC, but was wanting to use weights in the pockets to:
A) keep my bc from riding up my back
B) help balance out my buoyancy

I would like to note that I intend on wearing a weight belt too, I just want to see if this will be an adequate method of spreading my weight around.
(I also don't want to buy more led)

The weights I intend on using are not typical scuba weights, see attached picture

Any opinions?

Attachments

• 0607111410.jpg
    0607111410.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 436
I cannot figure out the actual size of those weigths compared to a normal weigth belt 4 pounds lead weigth.
If you are puting those weights in the BC pocket, they should be as small and massive as possible, which seems not to be the case, as those in the picture have a big hole in the middle.

blackvans-- will it work? Probably. Will it be comfortable? Probably not. Those weights are very large and if you're considering using them all (looks like 24 pounds to me) that's a lot of bulk to be carrying around. I think you'll find using "typical" scuba weights will be more effective at getting the weight you need in a small and reasonably comfortable package.

That said, give it a try and see what you think. Make sure the weights are sealed reasonably well or you know they're not going to suck up water and get heavier. (For example sand filled weights or something.)

EDIT: One other thing to consider, BC pockets don't generally hold things as well as you'd think they would... even if the weights fit, they may not stay where you put them.

The weights will most likely move around in the pockets depending on how large your pockets are. Get some weight pockets that you can put on the tank band. That would help your trim too.

Points taken

Do any of you see potential in using any of these weights above the tank valve and under the first stage?
(obviously not all of them, just one if I need to counter upper body positive buoyancy)

blackvans, I'd suspect they might bang around a little upon entry, but that would be my only real concern. That and the fact that they may be some other material, as I stated in my first post.

BC pockets are generally not designed to hold weights from a durability standpoint. I would wrap the weights in something to reduce wear.

[video=youtube;1WqazleR3FE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1WqazleR3FE[/video]

I put weights in my pockets sometimes. It's nice, however, if you're a gymnastic diver and like doing flips, inverted descents, and other acrobatic methods, be careful they don't fall out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom